Sprinkles

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Easter Egg Hunt

My husband and I had talked about the possibility of an egg hunt for Easter Sunday, and he convinced me that it would be a fun thing to do. I convinced him that an indoor egg hunt would be best, so I won't have to worry about grass stains on the carpeting.

There will be nine of us for Easter dinner, but my husband and I won't be hunting for the eggs, so that just makes seven. I ran out to Kroger this morning, searching for Dove chocolates-- they really are much better than Hersheys and Nestles (my apologies to both of those companies). I now have 89 chocolate-filled plastic eggs in lots of bright Easter colors.

I had all those plastic eggs in my holiday closet, along with a wooden egg that I spray-painted gold. That was all in preparation for an egg hunt that we were going to host a couple of years ago, but we decided not to follow through with that after my husband's mom passed away. I also had prizes for the egg hunt in the holiday closet--- one prize for the person finding the most eggs, and another for the person who found the golden egg. So those gifts came out of the closet this morning and I wrapped them up in flowery, spring-time paper.

We've got seven Easter baskets lined up by the fireplace, so our friends can choose a basket and search for the eggs--- after dinner and before dessert. They get to keep the candy in the plastic eggs, but I'll save those eggs for next year. Seems like once we start something here, it becomes a tradition in this house, so I know we'll be doing this again.

We had been going to our friends K and B's house for Easter every year--- they were hosting their own Easter brunch and egg hunt (for adults, with just a few children). K and B couldn't do it this year, because of other family and business obligations, and they just didn't have the preparation time they needed this month. So that's how Easter Sunday dinner is ending up at our house-- along with K and B who will get to hunt for eggs this year, rather than hiding them. At their house on Easters past, they hid over 500 eggs, being that the guest list for their brunch was between 35 and 40 people. So many people, and so many eggs, the hunt was done outside. But they have wood floors in their home, and were never concerned about the grass stains.

We plan to hide the eggs in all the rooms of our house except the bathrooms (for obvious reasons) and the kitchen (because I'll be busy in there while everyone else is hunting). We have it figured that when the egg hunt is over, everyone can count the eggs, empty the candy into zip-lock bags, and we can give out the prizes. My husband will probably hide all of the eggs, since this was initially his idea. He showed me the spot already for the golden egg, and I couldn't have come up with a better place for it. My only suggestion to him was that he not hide eggs under the furniture. Getting down on hands and knees looking for eggs is a lot of fun if you're a kid, but not if you're over 50. And the only kid who will be here on Sunday is our young friend C... the rest of our friends will be giving thanks to the Easter Bunny who hides the eggs above knee-level.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home