Sprinkles

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Stupid Computers

There are days when I wish that I didn't give in and get a laptop. I love this little machine as long as it works properly and does what it's supposed to do, but it frustrates me to no end when there's a glitch. And why should there be a glitch in the first place? This laptop is just over one year old!

Not being as computer-savvy as my computer-genius husband, I can never fix a glitch. The best I can do is turn the computer completely off, then turn it on again, with the hope that the disruption in electricity will jump-start its brain into activity. If that doesn't work, I slap the silly thing shut and just wait till my husband comes home.

I don't know what's more frustrating--- to be sitting in front of a laptop that freezes up, or standing beside my desk while my husband presses keys and says "Hmmmm" a few times as he de-glitches the laptop. (With a really bad computer problem, I've heard him say "I could kill Bill Gates for this....")

This computer responds to whatever keys he presses, and the screen promptly comes to life and follows whatever commands he gives it. Come to think of it, our dog Gracie is the same way--- if I take her leash in my hand and ask her if she wants to go for a walk, Gracie will just sit there and look at me. But all my husband has to do is whisper the word "walk" and that dog will run to the front door and dance around in a circle till my husband opens the door.

My take on all of this? My laptop acts like a cat with me, but changes into a dog when my husband sits in front of it. With me, the laptop is thinking "So you want to type? You want to search eBay? Come back later.... I'm napping at the moment." With my husband, all he has to do is sit down in front of this thing and I know the laptop is thinking "Wowie, zowie, we got the big guy here who knows what he's doing.... let's see where he's going to take us this time.....!"

Stupid computers............. If you don't see me here on any given day, you'll know my laptop is either napping in the sun or purring to its own beat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home