Sprinkles

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Trail Riders

On my way back from my piano lesson this morning, I saw about thirty Trail Riders-- approximately 30 riders, 30 horses, a dozen covered wagons, and at least two dozen "riders" who were walking rather than riding.

At this time of the year, that can only mean one thing--- they were headed towards the rodeo grounds just outside of the downtown area. The Trail Riders come through this way every year on their way to the Rodeo, but we never know which day or which road they'll be taking. It was a nice surprise to see them all this morning. Every bit of traffic slowed down for the horses, and just about everyone (me included) rolled down their windows to wave. It isn't wise to blast on the car horn, because it might scare the horses, and besides that, no one down here blasts the horn anyway unless it's a real emergency. (That's the easiest way to spot a "Yankee"-- he or she will be the one leaning on the horn the second the red light turns to green. No one does that down here.)

It was so quiet on the road as all the cars slowed down to 5 mph or less.... I could actually hear the hooves of the horses hitting the road. I hope the weather gets better for the rodeo, and for Mardi Gras as well. Galveston began its Mardi Gras celebrations and parades just this past weekend.... in all of that cold, wet weather. Needless to say, we didn't go. It's just not fun unless the weather is nice. Same for the rodeo, since a lot of the attractions are outside.

I don't think we'll be going back to the rodeo anytime soon, though. We went there a while back, when Barry Manilow was there for a concert. Poor Barry.... the Texas rodeo crowd was just not into his style, and it was easy to pick out the Manilow fans in the audience. (We were the ones not shelling peanuts or eating chili-dogs with chips and guacamole during "Copacabana" and "Weekend In New England.")

The sun is trying its best to come out today... we've actually seen some sunlight for a little while this afternoon, and it's very warm outside. Add a little sun and it will be downright hot. My husband and I drove into League City today for haircuts, and to have lunch at the little Greek place in Kemah. We hadn't been there in the longest time. My own Greek spinach pie is just fine, but can't compare to Skipper's.

We also stopped in at Nana's Attic for some fresh ground coffee.... they always have the best selection.... all those large glass jars filled with coffee beans. I swear, you can smell all the coffee before you open the door. I looked in the shop for shamrock teacups... not a one. I had also looked around J's antique shop over the weekend when I drove there with V. Not a shamrock teacup in sight. I guess eBay is going to be my only source for those.

However, if you want a rodeo outfit, a red bandana, a fringe-covered jacket, ostrich boots, or dinner plates with a horseshoe design, you won't have trouble finding those in League City. Which only goes to further prove my theory--- there are no Italians here, there are no Irish, there are no Catholics, no Jews, no Greeks.... just Texans, through and through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home