Sprinkles

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Still Cold.... Still Cloudy....

Drove into League City with V this afternoon..... to look around J's antique shop. V hadn't been to the shop since before the holidays, and when she and her husband S came to our Valentine party last weekend, she asked me if I'd go there with her today. So off we went for a couple of hours. V drove us in her car, a large Jeep, so I figured she had planned on doing quite a bit of looking and buying. My little two-seater car has a small trunk, which can handle shopping for one, not two, unless the "two" aren't buying quite a lot.

The main part of J's shop was cold, for the simple reason that J hadn't turned on the heating system. What? Some things never change.... J was doing that same thing years ago when I worked for him. J claims that he never feels cold.... which I think is a lot of nonsense--- I just think he doesn't like to pay for heat, and I told him so. The annex of the shop was toasty warm, for the simple reason that L was working in there today, and she doesn't like to be cold. Needless to say, V and I looked quickly around the main part of the shop, but took our time looking at everything in the annex.

I've been looking around for shamrock teacups.... not a one in J's shops, but I found some on eBay for a very inexpensive price. I don't plan on having enough teacups for everyone at our St. Patty's day lunch, but I thought having three or four of them would be a nice touch for the ladies' place settings.

I also found some pretty emerald-green glass candle holders at the shop today, two of them for just $3.00....... love those 50%-off booths at the antique shop. There's always a few dealers having great sales at the shop.... a 50%-off sale means that the dealer is probably going out of business and just wants to get rid of her inventory. Great for the buyer, not so great for the seller.

V found some Christmas decorations, and some porcelain Easter bunnies for her home. We also found lots of gorgeous Victorian furniture, which neither of us have room in our homes for. V's home is chock-full of antiques, as she's been collecting for years also. If she didn't love her house so much, she'd be looking for a bigger house right about now, she said. But they don't want to move, so she tries to buy little things, or big things that don't take up too much room--- like a lamp, because it goes straight up, and doesn't take up floor space, which is at a premium in her house.

It was fun to look around..... and next time the two of us go antique shopping, V wants to drive into Alvin to see what's new at the big antique mall out there. We laughed and said we're already planning to drive further away to find more things that neither of us has room for. I could walk around antique shops for hours, though, whether I buy or not..... it's like stepping back in time, which is always a nice thing to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home