Sprinkles

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Christmas Night

It's nearly 11:00 p.m. now....... everyone got here at 2:00 and left around 9:30. We had such a relaxing, peaceful, wonderful afternoon and evening.

Dinner was perfect...... spinach and pear salad to start (sprinkled with parmesean, pine nuts and cranberries). Then the baked ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes. J made corn pudding, L brought a baked spinach & feta casserole, and her cranberry/apple compote.

For dessert, we had my husband's plum pudding, roasted Italian chestnuts, little cheesecakes shaped like Christmas trees, and the grape juice/strawberry "cocktails" in the champagne glasses..... they were a big hit--- so pretty to look at, and they were light and delicious. They truly looked like glasses of bubbly champagne with strawberries floating under the foam. I will definitely make them again for our New Year's Eve dinner.

In between dinner and dessert, we all sat around the big tree in the living room and opened gifts. Of course, the focus was on young C, as it always is in this house when she's here. That child loves holidays, she appreciates little things and big things, she loves surprises, and she just loves every bit of every little thing.

We did notice a bit of sadness in her when the conversation got to their moving to Vegas next summer. She definitely is not liking that idea, and not getting used to the fact that it's going to happen. When she and her parents were ready to leave tonight, she stood between my husband and myself and said something like "Thanks for coming... see you soon!" ---- that was directed at her parents. She said it with a smile, but part of me wonders if she truly means it.

Among the gifts that we gave C this year, her favorites were two special ones that I found for her......... a Monopoly game designed around the Houston Astros, and a "friendship" ring with sapphires and opals in it...... the exact duplicate of one that I wore tonight. I had two of those rings....... they belonged to my husband's mom, and both were identical. I thought it would be nice to give one to C, so we both have one. I gave her a little card with the ring, and told her that no matter where she was, we'd be together in spirit. And I did my best not to cry when she opened the box and put the ring on. I could tell that she loved it........ it isn't too fussy or fancy, just pretty enough without going over the top.

Over the top........ This day was just perfect. I hope it isn't our last Christmas with C and her family. As they were leaving, C's mom wrote in the guest book: "Same time, same place next year?" We told them of course they're welcome to fly out for the holiday. But of course I don't think they will. Once they move, they'll be making a new home for themselves and they'll probably want to celebrate Christmas out there. Jingle bells......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home