Sprinkles

Friday, December 16, 2005

Along Came a Spider

We have a guest in our Christmas tree...... a spider. I don't know how big he is because I haven't seen him yet, but he sure is building quite a web at the very top of our tree. The web is being constructed around the star (Roy Rogers' star!) at the very tippy-top of our ten-foot tree.

I noticed a small web up there the day before our Christmas party. I showed it to my husband and asked him if we should leave it there for the guests to see, or get the ladder out of the garage and try to whisk away the web with a broom.

My husband, who carries bugs out of the house and brings them to the street, told me we should just leave the spider's web right where it was. So we did..... I was too busy to get out the ladder and try and do it myself, plus how much trouble could one little spider be?

That was a week ago, when the web was just a few strands wide around the star tree-topper. The spider has been very busy since then, and the web has grown. It now looks like we have vintage "angel hair" around the star that once sat atop Roy Rogers' tree. You remember angel hair--- those silky strands made of spun glass that could cut your fingers very easily and were probably highly flammable in the innocent years of the 1950s.

We have yet to actually see the spider, but he must be still in the tree because the web changes on a daily basis. I'm hoping the spider isn't one of those big fat hairy ones... and if it is, then I hope he just stays up in the tree and doesn't venture into the house. If the spider keeps adding on to his web as he has been, by the time we're ready to take the tree out to the curb the "angel hair" should be nearly to the floor. (Oh goodie.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home