Sprinkles

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Tea Room Lunch

My friend A and I went into League City today..... we stopped in at J's antique shop, then on to The Steeplehouse Antique Shop. Lots of little things to look at in both places, and of course it isn't hard to find something that just needs to come home with you.

We tried a new tea room for lunch today. The name of it used to be "Crazy Ladies in Hats," but they've changed the name and now I can't remember what it is. The food was delicious, and the decor was very whimsical. Lots of pretty murals on the walls, as well as painted designs on the floors, and of course there were a few rooms filled with trinkets and all things tea to buy. We had a nice time, catching up with everything that's happened sinced the party on Saturday night.

Pretty day today.... the rain quit yesterday and the sun has been out since early this morning and it warmed up a bit this afternoon. I'm sure it will cool down some when the sun sets, but for right now, the cats are on the screen-porch enjoying the Spring-like weather.

A gave me a video tape of our friend Frankie, who had done a local television show for the Clear Lake area yacht clubs. Frankie had given the tape to us so we could watch the show in case we didn't catch it on the Houston channel, and somehow the tape got misplaced along the way and never made it back to Frankie. I remember that show quite well...... there was a team of hair-stylists and make-up artists, and they gave Frankie a makeover before the cameras started to roll.

It was like night and day for Miss Frankie, since she wore very little make-up and never fussed much with her hair. The television crew gave her a sleek new hairstyle, added some cosmetics to her already-cute face, and all of the goodness and bright style and panache that was Frankie came shining through.

I don't know if I want to watch this tape, but I think I'll just make myself do it. When I think of Frankie, I remember her how she was every day..... just a touch of lipstick, a smile on her lips, a sparkle in her eyes, and usually a hat and big sunglasses to get everyone's attention. She was a beautiful lady, from the brim of her hat to the tips of her sandals. In my young friend C's words: "Miss Frankie is a character."

Maybe I will watch this tape, then mail it up to her daughter up in Ohio. She may not have seen her mom on that television show, and I'm sure she'd love to have this half-hour of tape when her mother was at her most beautiful, her most entertaining self.

Miss Frankie. We all still miss her. Everyone who knew her just loved her. And this past Saturday night, after our Christmas party, two friends told us that they felt that Frankie was right here with us. K said that as she was coming up our front walkway, she could've sworn on a stack of bibles that Frankie was right next to her.... and she hadn't thought about Frankie lately, so she was surprised that such a thought came into her mind. And A told me that she knew without a doubt that Frankie was at this party and dancing along in the Conga Line when the steel drum music was playing.

Why does that not surprise me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home