Sprinkles

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Wednesday.... Rainy, Dreary, Dark, Damp.

What a day..... pouring rain, lots of wind, puddles deep enough to make the ducks happy. This morning when I woke up, I felt as if I hadn't slept all night long. As the morning wore on, I just felt sad. Couldn't explain it.... but I just felt sad enough that I could've burst into tears without trying.

This afternoon wasn't much better...... but I didn't feel sad, I just felt on edge. Couldn't explain that either. Of course, the drippy, stormy weather didn't help much.

My friend A and I had planned to go into Kemah to the little Greek restaurant for dinner tonight. I didn't want to cancel that, and figured as long as the storm eased up a bit, I'd drive there. By the time 5:30 came round, it was just drizzling out, so we went as planned. Aside from meeting for dinner and catching up with one another, we wanted to pick up copies of the Kemah/Seabrook newspaper so we could read the memorial pages they wrote about Frankie.

The best laid plans....... The newspapers hadn't been delivered by the time we left, so we now plan to call the restaurant tomorrow to see if they brought the papers by. Back we'll go to Kemah....... I'll get some extra copies as long as we're there.

When I got home, there were five messages on the answering machine. Three from my dad, one from my Aunt Dolly, one from Frankie's daughter. I called Daddy first........ he told me that my Aunt Edie died this afternoon. Not a surprise, since she'd been in and out of a comatose state for a few years now. She had Alzheimer's and didn't even know the family when they went to visist her in the nursing home. My father didn't seem too broken up about it, and didn't ask if I was going to fly up to NY for the funeral. Which I don't intend to do. My father was more upset about the date today......... my Uncle Mino passed away on March 2nd also (a few years ago). Daddy told me that next year on March 2nd, he plans to stay in bed. "Just to be on the safe side," he said. (Now you know where I get my sense of humor.)

So of course, I wondered if my Aunt Edie's passing had something to do with the intense sadness I felt this morning. I got out of bed at 7:10 this morning. Aunt Edie passed away at 7:30. Of all my aunts and uncles (on my dad's side) I would have to say that Aunt Edie kept herself the most remote. She believed that children should be seen and not heard. Not a peep. Trouble was, as much as she believed that when we were all kids, she kept on holding to that theory when we were in our 30s and 40s. We were still 'the kids." Needless to say, it was hard to get too close to someone like that. I feel sad for my dad and my other aunts, because they've lost a sister. But Aunt Edie was in and out of a coma-like state for years now...... she was 90 years old when she died today. As Johnny Carson said: "You have to know when it's time to get off the stage."

I tried to call my Aunt Dolly back, but her line was busy...... so I called my Uncle & Aunt in Arizona and told them the news. They won't be flying to NY either.... they long ago told everyone that they would visit the family while they're alive, not fly up to see them when they're dead. I can guarantee that my Aunt Dolly will be upset with me, and with Uncle Tony. She expects everyone to show up for funerals.

Then I called Frankie's daughter back...... she just wanted me to know that they got back to Ohio safely. She's sad that her brother wouldn't just let her carry out her mother's wishes for a quick cremation, but I told her not to worry about something she couldn't change. She loved her mother, her mother loved her...... that's all that counts.

It has been a day. One long, dreary day. It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow. As that song goes: Tomorrow... tomorrow... it's only a day away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home