Sprinkles

Friday, February 25, 2005

Morning Glories

I finally thought of a way to remember our friend Frankie. Anyone who knew Frankie would remember that she loved her flower garden. Along with the 'senior citizen' column she wrote for the local paper, she also had a gardening column..... she called that one "Granny Greenthumbs," which gives you an idea of her sense of humor.

Frankie's favorite flowers were Morning Glories. While I was in the hardware store today, I happened to see the packets of flower seeds. And there were the Morning Glories and of course they made me think of Frankie. There were about five varieties of Morning Glories, and wouldn't you know..... there was a white Morning Glory called Pearly Gates. Now... how perfect was that?

I bought ten packages of those and came home and wrote out cards to our friends who knew Frankie from parties and dinners at our home. In the cards, along with the little seed packets of Pearly Gates, I wrote that Morning Glories were Frankie's favorite flowers, and I hoped they would plant the seeds in their gardens so a little bit of Frankie would keep on blooming.

I'm sure Frankie would love this gesture. I hope so. I have a feeling she wouldn't be so thrilled with what's going on between her son, his wife, and her daughter. Not to mention people that she worked with..... one of whom called me today asking all sorts of questions and wanting to know if I had gone into Frankie's home to look for her Will.

What??? I never went into Frankie's house unless she was there to open the door, so why would I go now? And why on earth would I be wanting to look for her Will???? I told my husband that this is all getting so overwhelming that I don't even want to pick up the phone for the next couple of weeks. Every day since Frankie passed away, there has been at least one phone call that I didn't need to be getting. And these aren't three-minute calls... these are calls that go on and on for nearly half an hour at a time.

I was Frankie's friend, not her lawyer, not her guardian, not her keeper, not her confidant. If she indeed had a Will, she neither told me about it or told me where it was hidden. And someone has totally misinterpreted Frankie's spoken wishes for a simple cremation. Now her co-workers are wanting to collect money so they can hire a huge party boat to take Frankie's ashes out to the middle of Galveston Bay. Which really surprises me, because a lot of those co-workers didn't pay much attention to Frankie when she was alive, for the simple reason that they thought she was a simple-minded old woman.

Keep me out of this........ I'll have no part in any of this.......... I asked my husband to answer the phone and tell all of "those people" that I'm not at home.

Hence.... the Morning Glories. My own quiet little way for myself and Frankie's friends to remember one very nice lady.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home