Sprinkles

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Wonder Woman

That's what I'm going to call our friend F from now on... "Wonder Woman."

I went to the hospital today and took the elevator right to the second floor, expecting F to still be in the ICU. Not so........ the nurse told me they had brought her upstairs to the third floor, to a "regular" room. Back to the elevator I went, and up to the next floor... and there she was. Sitting up in her bed, with just simple oxygen tubes in her nostrils instead of that huge and cumbersome oxygen mask that she had been using.

Her voice was very weak, and hardly sounded like dear old F, but her attitude was there and she was full of her usual spirit. I had brought her a piece of chocolate cake and when I offered to unwrap it for her, she told me to leave the foil on the plate because she had no intentions of sharing it with anyone. "Why let everyone see what I'm not going to let them have?"

F will be going through lots of therapy for the next couple of weeks..... she can barely walk, so they'll start with that. Her doctor plans to keep her in that hospital for as long as the medical insurance allows. After that? Who knows.... but let's take one day at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home