Sprinkles

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Sunday... Back in The ICU for You-Know-Who

I just got back from the hospital... our friend F is back in the ICU, after spending most of yesterday in a private room. I was surprised that they had taken her out of ICU in the first place, given her poor condition the day before yesterday. But the doctors know what's best, don't they?

As my dad always says: "Not all doctors graduated in the top ten percent of their class."

Poor F looked awful this afternoon.... she's getting thinner by the day, being that her food consists of anything that can be dripped through a tube. And I'm sure she's ticked off because they aren't pouring melted chocolate into her arm. But on the bright side, she did know I was there, and she did know who I was. So she's awake and aware, which is a good thing.

I gave F a message from her British friend C.... he told me last night at our party to tell F this: "Look, old girl, this could all be worse-- you could be back in Birmingham." C told me that F would get the joke... and she did... she raised her eyebrows and nodded her head. Smiling was impossible, with all the stuff they have around her face and down her throat.

F's daughter and son-in-law were at the hospital as well. They'll go back to see F later on today, then they'll be leaving for Ohio early tomorrow morning. While they've been here, they've been staying at F's house, and they have cleaned and shined and polished and have everything in that little house looking just so. With the hopes, of course, that F will be back there to see their efforts.

Fairy buttercups. Besides being able to take good deep breaths on her own, F could use a meadow filled with fairy buttercups right about now...... fairy buttercups as far as the eye can see.

From my lips to God's ears, as my dear friend Blanche always used to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home