Sprinkles

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Turn The Radio Up......

The above words are part of a song by Barry Manilow, on "The Mayflower" album. And, the only way that I listen to Manilow's music when I'm in my car is by turning it up. There's just no other way.

So there I was today, driving down Bay Area Blv. towards home, after going to the supermarket for groceries for this weekend's Valentine party. It was sunny and warm today, and when I got into my car after shopping, the car was hot, hot, hot. So as I drove out of the parking lot, the volume on my Manilow CD went up and the window on the passenger side went down.

The first traffic light I came to was red, and I was in the middle lane as I stopped. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a car stop along-side me on the right, but I was just enjoying the sunny day and Manilow's music and I didn't pay much attention. All of a sudden, I hear the slightest beep of a car horn coming from my right. Which is unusual, since hardly anyone in Clear Lake ever beeps their car horn unless they're in an emergency situation. Even if you're at a red light and it turns green, the car behind you will not beep their horn to get you moving.

Anyway.... the car to the right of me beeps the horn. I glanced over, and I see a young 20-something woman smiling at me and sort of waving a cell phone at me. I saw her lips moving, so I knew she was talking but I couldn't hear her over my Manilow music. She beeped the horn again, just a little. I turned the volume down on Barry and looked at her again, intending to ask her if anything was wrong. She smiled at me again and said "Can you turn that music down.... I'm on the phone."

What????

I just looked at her and smiled... then laughed... then turned up the volume on Barry to where I had it in the first place. I just laughed and laughed... couldn't stop laughing. I mean, really... I am in my own car with my own music, and did that girl actually think I was going to turn down the volume (on Barry?) so she could talk on her cell phone?

That entire incident took only seconds to transpire... and I'd guess the red light stayed red for maybe two or three minutes.... but that whole incredible scene has been in my mind the entire afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home