Sprinkles

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Thursday... Sunshine!

Finally, finally, finally... the sun has found its way here. As I sit here typing, the sun is coming through my window and I can feel it on my shoulders. So wonderful, after all of those cloudy days.

And, as I sit here typing, two plumbers are working in my little Victorian powder room. What started out as a simple faucet change has turned into a project because there was a leak behind the old faucet. Ah.... and a little leak turns into a big leak, which is what we learned from having the shower fixture replaced in the larger bathroom a few months ago. So not only are they changing the faucet in the bathtub, they're having to replace the valves and pipes and whatever else is connected behind the tub.

This project started last Thursday. The plumber said he'd be here at 9:00 in the morning. He rang the doorbell at 10:30. When he started to change the faucet last week, he found the leak behind it, but didn't have the valves he needed. Special order. Everything is a special order, it seems.

When he asked me last Thursday if he could come back today to finish the job, he wanted to be here at 9:00 a.m. Oh no... I wasn't going to fall for that again, so I told him to be here at 10:30. He showed up at 12:30. I swear, you just can't win.

But they're here now, the bathtub is getting new valves, faucets, whatever.... out with the old silver pieces and in with bright shining gold ones. We thought this would be such an easy job, since there's a little trap door in the wall behind the tub. That wall, however, backs up to my husband's computer room and the trap door is behind his desk. And wouldn't you know it... when this house was built, they thought to put in that trap door, but didn't think to put it high enough from the floor to reach the valves.

Ah me.... the plumber had to cut a piece of the wall out... he did it very neatly, a nice little square about 5 inches above the trap door. When he's done, he'll put the piece of wall right back in the spot where he cut it out. My husband's desk will cover everything, so I'm not too concerned. When we get the handymen back here for other little jobs, they'll fix up the wall so it'll look more 'finished.'

Always something to do when you have a house. This is why my sister doesn't want to own one. She loves her apartment, and before living where she is now, she loved her old apartment, and loved the one before that. She told me she doesn't mind moving, doesn't mind getting new apartments from time to time. She says she'd get bored living in one place for too long.

I'm just the opposite. I don't ever want to move from here. I don't get bored... I like the thought of living here forever. I can walk around this house in the dark and find something as small as a postage stamp, if I had to. That's how well I know this house.

However, if I walked around this house in total darkness, I would probably trip over one of the cats. My sister doesn't have cats, either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home