Sprinkles

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Sunday... Another Soup Day

Oh goodie... another dreary, cloudy, damp day. But on the bright side-- it isn't raining, snowing, hailing or storming, so I guess southeast Texas is ahead of the game.

Soup for lunch... leftover crawfish bisque. I told my husband that if we continue to have these soup days, then I need to learn to make more kinds of soup. So far, my soup menu consists of lentil, crawfish bisque, and clam chowder.

Pea soup. I wish I could make split-pea soup the way Lou did. (Lou being the owner of the little restaurant where I went for lunch every day when I was working up in NY, and where my husband and I had our wedding dinner.) Lou made the greatest soups, different ones every day, from Monday through Friday. Thursday was split-pea soup day. Delicous, creamy, thick pea soup with home-made croutons floating on top. I always passed on the croutons, though. I'm not a crouton fan, either in soups or salads. If I want to eat bread, then I want a soft, thick bread, not dried cubes.

But back to the soup. Today would be the perfect day for split-pea soup. I'm sure I could look on the Internet and find dozens of recipes for pea soup. And maybe I will. But not today. I don't have the ingredients I need for that soup anyway. But I will keep it on my to-do list.

I spent this morning fixing the sleeves on a sweater I had bought the last time I went shopping with my sister up in NY. Gorgeous ivory sweater with some beading on the front of it. The sleeves were way too long, and the material is too silky to just roll up the sleeves. I had the sweater hanging on the doorknob in my sitting room, just waiting to be taken for alterations. I never remembered to bring it with me when I was on my way down Highway 3.

I guess I got tired of seeing it just hanging on the doorknob this morning. I looked at the sleeves and thought how hard could it possibly be to cut those sleeves to a good length and make a hem? So that's what I did. I took another sweater with sleeves the perfect length, measured them and figured out how much I needed to cut from the sweater with the too-long sleeves. I cut off the excess, turned up a hem and pinned it... tried it on before I started to sew... and it came out perfectly. Simple as that. Amazing what you can do when you put some Greek music on the CD player. Opa!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home