Sprinkles

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Wildflowers....

Unlike the wildlife up here (which I loathe), the wildflowers (which I love) are beginning to bloom. Every day, more and more of the pastures are turning blue, bursting with blooming bluebonnets. (Say that three times fast.) There's also a good showing of Indian paintbrushes, and some of the fields are positively crimson with those flowers.

The bluebonnets are blooming around our pond, which is blessedly filled with water (and ducks!) because of the rains we had last month and the month before. I'm hoping that we continue to get rain on more or less a regular basis so the pond stays filled for the summer. (Is that too much to hope for?)

We drove around town today, and further on into Burton and then into Round Top, searching for fields of bluebonnets.  I have to say that we can see more bluebonnets on our own property than we saw today in the fields surrounding the highways.  But there's still hope...... usually, the peak point for the wildflowers is the middle of April, so there's still time.

I seem to have a love-hate relationship with this part of the Hill Country.  There are days when I think we've dropped out of our familiar solar system and have landed on another planet, and then there are other days when the sun is shining, the sky is blue, the wildflowers are blooming, there are no crying baby goats and groaning mama cows and all is right in this little corner of the world.  (Except that I can't find a damn good handyman to save my life... but today is such a beautiful day that I shouldn't even go there right now.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home