Sprinkles

Monday, March 17, 2014

Man plans.... God laughs.

I've heard that phrase over and over again along the years, but it sure does hit home at times.  And each time those four words ring true, it's a lesson in learning to just go with the flow.  Whatever plans you happen to make, sometimes the universe takes over and brings you down another path.

My husband had a pain in his knee the other day... came out of the blue, he didn't fall or hit his leg or anything at all like that..... but the pain persisted.  By yesterday, he could hardly walk.  I sent a text to our friends, asking if anyone had a pair of crutches, and the angels were smiling down on us and I drove over to get them.  Amazing how a set of crutches can make the simple act of walking attainable.

We went to the doctor's office today..... seems there's a torn tendon/muscle/whatever it is at the back of my husband's knee.  She gave him a shot, a prescription for pills, and a knee brace.  An MRI would have told the doctor exactly what was going on, but my husband didn't want to do that.  With the shot he was given, we'll know within 24 hours if the tendon-thing is merely inflamed, or (worst case) torn.  If it's torn, then the healing period will be four weeks or more.  The shot and the pills will get him back to walking without the crutches in just a couple of days, as long as the knee is simply inflamed.

The cats are afraid of the crutches.... they saw my husband making his way across the kitchen and Gatsby and Sweet Pea ran into the TV room with their tails down and their eyes as big as saucers.

I told my husband to just stay upstairs for a couple of days or even more.... no sense in navigating the stairs with crutches when I can easily bring everything he needs up to either his office or the bedroom.  Every time I walk up and down the stairs now, I realize how much I take walking for granted.  Without a thought, just put one foot in front of the other and just go.  Easy as pie, until something happens and you just can't.

And this is a simple injury...... an inflamed (or torn) tendon. Gives you an entirely new perspective on all the handicapped parking spaces and ramps and such.  You think they're an inconvenience until the day you need them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home