Sprinkles

Saturday, October 27, 2007

"What Was I Thinking?"

This is usually about the time that I ask myself that question --- What was I thinking?! Tonight is our Halloween Party, and I've been working all week to transform our living room into a party room. No matter how early I start with the decorations (and I did that at the beginning of October), there always seems to be last-minute touches that just make all the difference. It's all in the details.

As a result, the living room, breakfast room, and dining room resemble a restaurant -- a nice restaurant. Wherever you look, there are Halloween-ish surprises, like black beads hanging from crystal-prism lamps, orange beads and bats, and a huge black spider-- hanging from the chandeliers.

The cats have all been out on the screen porch since this transformation began, and they've been watching me through the windows between the breakfast room and the porch. Needless to say, they're not happy to be banished from inside the house, but I've made them as cozy-comfy as possible on the porch. Each of them has a large wicker chair covered in a warm blanket to snuggle up in, and they've established ownership on their favorite chairs.

My husband hasn't shaved all week, in preparation for his pirate costume tonight. He tried the fake beards in the costume shop, but they all looked fake, so he decided the best thing to do was just not shave. His scratchy stubble is now soft and furry-looking, but he still swears that he will shave his face tonight right after the last guest leaves. He's been trying on his pirate hat every night this week, and the real-looking long hair attached to the hat makes his scruffy beard look even more pirate-y. Between the pirate shirt, sword, and the pirate jewelry (right down to the large gold hoop earring), he'll be one fine pirate.

As for me, my black witch hat trimmed with purple feathers is just the start of my elegant witch costume. With a long black skirt, black top sprinkled with a few rhinestones, my black rhinestone-studded eyeglasses, black shoes decorated with rhinestones.... and I even have a rhinestone tiara that can be attached to the witch hat--- a royal witch. I wish I had thought to buy a purple feather boa-- that would have been a great accessory, but would probably get in the way while I'm serving food. I bought dark purple eyeshadow, so my eyes will match the feathers on my hat-- Rule #14 in the Witch Book of Wisdom.

We've been having gorgeous weather.... hot days (but not broiling) and cool night (but not too cold for the cats on the porch). It's always nicer when it won't be raining on a party night. It will be fun to see all the costumes and outfits tonight, but right now, it's just my few minutes to say What was I thinking? Giving a party is a lot of work! But the fun that we all have makes it all worthwhile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home