Sprinkles

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

About those Tarot Cards....

I keep thinking of our Harry Potter party, and our friend R who brought along her deck of Tarot cards. She has taken classes and lessons on Tarot Card reading, and she's extremely serious about her cards. She has several decks, and uses two favorite decks for her readings.

Without giving away anything about what she "read" in the cards for us and for our other friends who were here, I have to say that we all agreed (and were truly amazed) that R was right on target with everything she saw in the Tarot cards for us all. She was even extremely definitive about certain things she saw in the cards for K and B... things that K and B hadn't mentioned to anyone else.

When R did the reading for me, both myself and our friend K noticed that R was just about lifting herself off of the chair as she was looking over my cards. R kept telling me to "Do it... there's something that you've been wanting to do for a long while now, and you need to just do it." She said she couldn't tell me exactly what it was, but it had to do with sitting and writing, but she said she was certain that the "activity" didn't involve sitting in a classroom. R said she couldn't figure it out, because what she was seeing in the cards wasn't that detailed, but she said I must know what it could be. (R doesn't even know that I write this blog, for goodness sake, nor did she know that I've been writing for as long as I can remember.)

Well, of course I knew what she was talking about. And, of course, no one else would know because I haven't said a thing to anyone. The "sitting and writing" has to do with writing a book, which I've been thinking (seriously thinking) about for the last couple of years. R doesn't know that writing is my secret passion, that I'm always writing..... that even when I'm not actually typing, I'm writing things in my mind...... playing with sentence structure and descriptive phrases and all that. When R was finished with my reading, I did tell her about my longing to write -- actually write! -- a book. Her final words: "Just do it! You've got to do it!"

Yesterday, when K and B called to tell us what a great time they had at the party, B told me that when I was telling R about wanting to write a book, she wasn't surprised. B said that when she first met my husband and I, she told K that "Of course that girl must be an author... is she working on anything?" I asked B what made her think that, and she said it was the way I spoke, and the way I described things.... she said only a writer could manage both so effortlessly.

Well..... how about that. Needless to say, I was very flattered.

Also, needless to say, I know that in order to write a book, you need time... lots of uninterrupted time. Which I just don't have. I could have more time, but I'd have to give up other things. Like the Pajama Program. And reading. And making greeting cards. And planning parties. And keeping this house (as well as the lake house) so blessedly organized.

Writing a book brings such a large block of uncertainty with it........ and that would be a lot of time wasted if nothing came of it. And do you know the odds of a new author's book getting accepted by a publisher? Millions to one, would be my guess.

But the idea is there......... and someday I just might be able to do it. Maybe it really is "in the cards," as that old saying goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home