Sprinkles

Monday, May 07, 2007

Computer Spread Sheets and other stuff that goes bump in the night...

We've been up at the lake cottage..... for a few busy days. My husband had to repair some boards on the dock which got unattached from the posts during the recent storms up there. We didn't know that had happened, and it was a surprise when we saw it, to say the least. But my husband figured it out, got what he needed, and now it looks as good as new. Still needs an adjustment or two, but that can't be done till the water level goes down just a little bit.

Sounds funny to say that.... after the dry months of last year, everyone was wishing for the water levels to rise. Now that the docks need a little work, we're all wishing for the water level to decrease. Be careful what you wish for.

While we were up there, I went to one of the local shelters to deliver children's pajamas for The Pajama Program. The shelter that I had approved was right near the center of town, so we both drove there one day when we had other errands to do. I brought nearly 50 pajama sets for them, and the woman who accepted the boxes at the shelter said they'd all be gone before next week. That's how many families come through there in a two-week period. They will be on my permanent list of "receiving organizations," and if I can't keep up with their need for pajamas, then I'll ask the NY office to send them a box every month.

I swear, this lake-area shelter was one of the barest, saddest, oldest buildings.... they have a "store" that's stocked with donated clothing and household items. Their residents and clients can go to the store and pick out what they need, free of charge. They were thrilled to get my delivery of pajamas, if only because they're never "treated" to new items... just used things that are donated to the shelter. And some of the used items that were there should have been tossed away, but they keep everything that is even remotely usable.

Speaking of remotely usable.... I learned how to use a computer spread-sheet this afternoon. A crash course from my husband, because I have to use that on-line form to send in my ingoing and outgoing numbers for the pajamas and books I collect for the Pajama Program. I had been keeping everything written down in a notebook (the old-fashioned kind, not the computer kind). Well, that works just fine, but my scribbles can't be sent up to NY that way.

So now I can say that I know how to use a spread-sheet on this blessed laptop. Oh goodie. Another computer skill. I know how useful this machine is, but in my mind, just give me a pen and paper and I'm on Cloud 9. (Give me a computer and I often end up in the Twilight Zone.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home