Sprinkles

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Community Yard Sales

Our entire subdivision was Yard-Sale City this morning..... so all I had to do was drive up and down all of the streets on both sides of the bayou. Lots of sales, lots of stuff out there, and of course I came home with a lot of good treasures.


I bought a wicker loveseat from the lady on the next corner... it wouldn't fit into my husband's car, and thankfully, Miss C was with me this morning, so we left the car right where it was and we just walked back to my street with the loveseat between us. C was laughing most of the way, saying that she had never done anything like that before. The loveseat is in our screen-porch right now, and looking very nice, with a vintage-looking green wood mirror hanging on the wall above it. The mirror was another yard sale find, along with a nice area rug that I put on the wood floor in front of the sofa.


Another sale had a three piece lawn set... a small tea-table, with two chairs. The set looks like aged green metal, but it's really made of resin. Those are now on our front porch, and looking much better than the smaller things that were there before. I found a painted wooden screen which I put in front of the cats' litter boxes on the screen-porch, so that was a nice little touch. AngelBoy has sniffed all the new things on the porch, and I guess I have his blue-eyed approval. Except for the rug--- I don't think he liked that addition because he tossed-up his lunch on it less than an hour after I put the rug on the floor. Thankfully, I saw it right away and it cleaned up so nicely that you wouldn't know anything had been on it.


Miss C found a bunch of things for her cabin at the lake... a mirror trimmed with sparkly fish, along with colorful fish that hang on the wall, also embellished with sparkles. C also found a bunch of books that she likes to read... dog stories. C is an animal lover-- all animals, all sizes, all species.


My favorite find today... a carved wood prancing horse, standing over three feet tall, which I have in the corner of our dining room. Beautifully done, and I got it for only $20... so pretty and happy-looking that I couldn't leave it there. If (when) I manage to find a sponsor for a Reading Center for the Pajama Program, then the horse will find a new home there. Till then, he'll be prancing in our dining room. Funny thing about that horse... at a sale before that sale, a lady was selling a carousel horse for $99..... very nice also, but I didn't want to spend that much, so I left that horse right where it was. Then C and I found this wooden horse that I did buy... and C said we should go back to show the $99 horse-lady what we bought for just $20.


We went downtown last night, to have dinner at a Thai restaurant with friends K and B, then we all went to see a movie about the Dalai Lama. Interesting movie, and it told of the history behind the Dalai Lama, which I hadn't known before. The Dalai Lama will be in Houston this week, and my husband is going to hear him speak, along with K and B. They bought four tickets, thinking I'd change my mind and go, but I don't think so. I respect the man and all he stands for, but I just don't feel the need to be in the audience and hear him speak. I'd rather they use my ticket and ask someone else to go, someone who would get more out of being in the audience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home