Sprinkles

Friday, April 20, 2007

Half-Price Books

You just never know until you ask........ and that's what I did this morning-- went back to Half-Price Books to speak to the manager about getting book donations for the Pajama Program. Not only did he tell me that I could have books (free books!) for the kids, but he let me pick out them out. They had two big boxes of books set to be donated elsewhere..... he told me to look through them all and take what I thought we could use for Houston area kids. I was careful to pick out bed-time storybooks for the young ones, and good, non-fluff fiction for the teenagers.

I left that bookstore today with 29 books, all of them in as-new condition, donated by the store. And even better-- there were still plenty left in those two boxes to be sent to kids outside the state. The manager told me to come back to the store once or twice a month and pick out more books..... he let me talk to the girl who takes care of the children's section of that bookstore, and I told her what I was looking for so she can put books aside for me.

What a great store....... they didn't even hesitate. I asked them to take a group photo and I would get it posted on the Houston Chapter web-site. The manage said that all publicity photos for that store must include their "resident cat." Well, of course.... anyone who uses that store on a regular basis knows the cat..... a big black and white male who always picks the most comfortable chair to take his nap..... and almost always, the chair is in a sunny spot of the store.


With publicity in mind for our Houston Chapter of the Pajama Program, I sent the Chapter web-page to the two local newspapers here, and also to the local magazine that Frankie used to write articles for. Hopefully, one of them (or all three!) will run the page in one of their upcoming issues, so everyone in the area will know the Houston Chapter is up and running and looking for pajamas. I told young Miss C that we needed tee-shirts that say GOT PAJAMAS? on the front. Being that we will now have a steady stream of books coming in from Half-Price Books, I will concentrate on the pajamas. I'm disappointed in Target... guess they don't want to donate pajamas for our kids on a regular basis. Well, that's fine.... next stop: Wal-Mart.

I continue to get eMails from Houston residents wanting to help. One girl from Blinds.com sent me a note saying that their company wants to have a pajama collection..... she asked for instructions and ideas, and is anxious to get started. I've got volunteers all over the Houston area, which doesn't surprise me.

Our friend J called me tonight on his cell-phone..... he was out shopping for pajamas to bring with him tomorrow night when he comes to the party. He asked if he could buy clothes instead of pajamas. I told him that pajamas and books is what we're after... not play-clothes and purses. "But I keep finding such cute handbags for little girls... and you should see these shorts and tops that I found." Pajamas.... pajamas! I explained to J that the shelters get enough clothes for the kids, but it's pajamas that they never get because they can't accept used pajamas and they never get new ones. J promised to get out of the play-clothes section of the store and "head on over to the pajama section." But you should just see this cute little purse.... Forget the purse! Buy pajamas!!!


And one more note about Half-Price Books..... there's an empty storefront about three shops down from the bookstore.... not too big, not too small.... the walls are already painted a pretty aqua-blue color. I asked the manager at Half-Price Books if The Powers That Be at his company would consider underwriting the rent and utilities for a Pajama Program Reading Center. If we could get a storefront close to Half-Price Books, we could tie the two together somehow. He didn't seem to think it was such a ridiculous request. He gave me the name of his district manager.... of course I will call and ask. You just never know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home