Sprinkles

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Books & Blogs & Rainy Days

Still another rainy, cloudy, damp and dreary day. Cranky weather. I was going to run out to the post office today with eBay packages but I may just put it off till tomorrow. Although, my car has been in the garage on all of these cold and damp days and it would be better for it if I got the engine going. Plus, my car has heated seats. An incentive to go to the post office or anywhere else.

I've started to read Sidney Portier's "The Measure of A Man." This book is Oprah's selection for her book club. Beautiful book.... I was happy when she announced it because I had the hardcover book on my own bookshelves. I don't know exactly why, but it pleases me when she picks a book that I already own. I bought this book when it was first published, for the simple reason that I've always liked Sidney Portier and I thought that anything written by this kind and gentle man was worth reading. And it was... every word. So much so that I'm re-reading it now, being that millions of other people on the planet are reading it at the same time, thanks to Oprah's Book Club. That kind of connection is amazing.... for so many people to be reading the same book at the same time. Cheers to Oprah, for bringing books to the forefront of must-haves in this otherwise too-technological society.

My husband gave me a book for my birthday titled "Word Freak," by Stefan Fatsis. It's a book about Scrabble players and Scrabble championship games. Looks like great reading... the cover of the book is covered with "Scrabble" letters. If I had seen that in the bookstore, I would've bought it for myself, based on the cover alone. I will start that book when I finish with Mr. Portier's.

Blogs.... my husband's department has started a blog. I don't think it's on the same site that this one is on... the outline looks a bit different. The head of the department has asked anyone interested to join the blogsters (is that a word?). So far, my husband has written one blog on the site, along with other members who have also written just one blog each. Before he wrote his entry, my husband commented that it might be hard to come up with topics to write about. I have to disagree, being that I've written almost 750 blogs since I started this site. For me, all it takes is just sitting down in front of my laptop and typing out what comes to mind. Which may or not be a good thing, depending on how you're looking at it.

A colleague of my husband's has a blog-site, on this same site, and I think it's hilarious. He seems to do what I do... just sit and type. He also posts photos of his wife, family, friends and co-workers-- something I haven't done because I don't know how to do it, and I don't think I would anyway. The words coming out here are anonymous, but once you add photos to the words, then the anonymity disappears. Still, I keep up with T's blog from time to time, and I've told my husband that he could do as well as T, and probably better, should the blog-urge overtake him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home