Sprinkles

Friday, January 19, 2007

Another cold and rainy, dreary day.....

Okay, everyone has just about had it now with this weather...... we haven't seen the sun, we've barely seen a square inch of blue sky..... and about all we have seen is rain and more rain. Not to mention the low temperatures on the outdoor thermometers. If you'd asked us to bet on it, we would have bet the ranch that it couldn't get this cold here.

But this too shall pass...... at least that's what they tell us.

I drove into League City today, to give the Valentine's party invitations to J and to L at the antique shop. Both of them were sitting in the shop with their coats on..... seems that no one can get warm and stay warm for any length of time these days. J told me that he closed the shop on Wednesday because only two people came into the store on Tuesday--- too cold.... just plain flat-out too cold.

Of course I had to browse around the shop while I was there...... and of course I found things calling my name. I bought a set of eight vintage glasses.... King's Crown ruby glass (I believe that's what it's called). Gorgeous glassware.... just a bit smaller than sherbet sizes, but I can use them for desserts.... and right now they're looking right in the Valentine spirit as they sit on the glass shelves in the coffee bar. I took out the green glass sherbets for now, but I will put them back for St. Patty's Day. I've taken a hint from one of Carolyne Roehm's decorating books.... use pretty glassware and tableware to decorate for the holidays/seasons.

This afternoon, I rearranged two pieces of furniture in my sitting room.... not the location of the furniture, but the things that I kept in the drawers of the furniture. I was making Valentine cards last night and I kept having to walk between the desk/bookcase on one wall, the walk-in closet on the other wall, and the drawers in the curio cabinet on the third wall. Enough is enough.... I spent about two hours today just moving things around in the drawers. Now, all the "arts and crafts" stuff is in the drawers of the desk/bookcase under the window, which is where I'm usually putting together bits and pieces to make cards or collages, and wrapping up favor bags for the parties. All of the watercolor paints and art pencils are all together now in one drawer, and I have all the invitation cards all together in another drawer. Much easier..... no more walking back and forth... and finding one of the cats on top of my desk when I come back from the other side of the room.

I've been having a good time making the Valentine cards... amazing what you can put together to make a personalized card for someone. And the best part.... all the pretty pictures and cut-outs, bits of ribbons and lace, feathers and beads... all being used to make a keepsake card. Re-cycle and re-use at its best.

That's been about the day....... my husband just lit a fire in the fireplace..... he has also been cold for most of the day. So much so that he went out into the garage, opened up the overhead door, and sat in my car with the motor running so he could warm up with the heated seats. I had those seats up to full power during my drive into League City today (about ten miles)..... the warmest ten miles I've had since this cold air settled over southeast Texas. So cold here that we were going to go out to dinner tonight but neither one of us felt like going. Not even to Babbo Bruno's. My husband made himself a grilled cheese sandwich. I made oatmeal, with raisins and pineapple.... and after it was done, I blasted it in the microwave to make it even hotter.

The cats have been driving me crazy.... they can't stay out on the screen-porch for too long a time, and they're using the house as a porch.... jumping up on chairs, chasing each other from one end to the other. I raised my voice to Mickey Kitty a little while ago and he stopped dead in his little kitty-tracks and rolled over on the carpet to look at me upside-down. You yelled at me? Cute little moi?

This too shall pass.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home