Sprinkles

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Another rainy day......

The skies opened up early this morning and the rain just didn't hardly quit all day long. Once again, during the worst of the rain, our street filled up with water right up to the curb. It didn't take long for the water to go down the storm-drains when the rain let up, but then the street filled up again when it started to pour. I'd say we had a good soaking, drenching rain every hour during this entire day. When my husband came home from work early this afternoon, he couldn't even drive down our cul-de-sac because of the high water level. He parked his car in the driveway of a neighbor on one of the through-streets, and called their house as soon as he walked home to tell them that his car was in their driveway. It didn't stay up there for too long... as soon as the pouring rain quit, the water went down and he walked back up to get the car.

I'm so glad I decided to go grocery shopping yesterday, rather than my original plan of going this afternoon. The only reason I had changed my mind on that is because I had made arrangements to pick up little Miss C after school today and keep her here till this evening while her mom had appointments at her doctors for her yearly check-up. Thankfully, when it was time to get C at school, it was just drizzling outside and the streets were all cleared of water.

My husband and I were going to take C out for dinner tonight (we're still working on those coupons I had given her for her birthday last March-- C has been stretching all 15 of them out so they'll last till her next birthday)... but it had got to raining so hard that we thought it best if we just stayed here, rather than take a chance that the roads between here and the restaurant were flooded.

I didn't have anything planned for dinner, so we made do with what I had in the house. I opened up some cans of Progresso Clam Chowder, and I made "Monte Cristo" sandwiches. Haven't made those in quite some time, but I had sliced turkey and swiss in the fridge, so I quickly put the sandwiches together, soaked them in beaten eggs, and grilled them up as you would do for French Toast. C hadn't tasted those before, and she liked the idea of a French-Toasted turkey/cheese sandwich that you could eat with maple syrup. I also had some real New York cheesecake in the freezer, so I defrosted a thick slice of that and we all shared it for dessert.

We had gotten that cheesecake from my husband's sister..... she had it sent to us for some holiday or another. As soon as we opened the box and saw what it was, I cut it into thick slices and froze each one separately. That NY-style cheesecake is so rich that you just need a very thin slice of it to feel like you've died and gone to dessert-heaven. And I don't care where you live.... there's nothing that can compare to a NY cheesecake.

C is getting more and more excited about the Halloween party on Saturday night. She wanted to help me get things ready for the party while she was here today, but I told her we had to wait one more day to start setting up the tables and chairs. Tomorrow, when I put the cats into the screen-porch and leave them there till the party is over, I can start doing some of the last-minute things on my to-do list. So of course, when her mom came to pick her up tonight, C asked her if she could come over here after school tomorrow, then asked me if I could pick her up again, and also asked her mom if she could ride her bicycle here on Saturday to help me with the "really last-minute things" for the party. That child...... she is so easy to please, and the tiny little things in life just make her so happy.

So that's been the day here.... rain, rain, and more rain. The cats slept all day long... even little Mickey Kitty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home