Sprinkles

Friday, August 11, 2006

A Yard Sale Morning

Back to yard-saling, looking for things to bring up to Mayberry. My husband and I were out of the house before 7:30 this morning. Before we got to the first yard sale on my list, we found signs on corner posts, with arrows pointing in the direction of the sales.

At the very first sale, we found a very old (certainly antique) carved wood table. Sort of a game table, I would imagine, since the top lifts up to reveal four separate compartments. It even has the original key which locks the top of the table.... key is in great shape, and the lock still works.

This table has got to be one of the most ornately carved pieces of furniture I've ever seen. The man selling it said it was made in Switzerland, but there's no way of us proving that unless we happen to find something with similar carving. There are faces carved into the corners of this table... one on each corner of the top, one on each corner of the bottom, plus one on each side.... total of ten faces in all. They look like the face of Neptune or Zeus, in my opinion.

The wood is very dark..... sort of a black walnut wood. My husband thinks it's too dark for the cottage, but of course I think it's perfect. We both agree that the table has a lot of character, and it cost us just $20.00........ and isn't this why we're getting up so early and getting to these yard sales--- to find interesting pieces of furniture for Mayberry that doesn't cost a blessed fortune?

I know one thing for sure..... there is no place in this house for this table. Since we moved everything "extra" we had up to the cottage, this house is nice and neat and un-cluttered now. If my husband wants to keep this carved table here, then that's fine--- but that also means that we have to take away one table from here and bring it up to Mayberry. Rule #1 around here once again applies: "One thing in, one thing out."

There was also a little bonus item inside the top of this carved table...... a woman's head/bust carved out of wood. It doesn't belong to the table... the wood is different (lighter) and the style is more Victorian, not Gothic-rustic (which is how this table strikes me). I will bring the carved woman up to the cottage and use her somewhere as an accent. It looks like those carved women that are attached to the front of sailing ships, only this one is much smaller, just about 12 inches high.

I also found a little white wicker doll basket. I will take that up to Mayberry and put it on the screen porch for the cats. Knowing my prissy AngelBoy, he will stake his claim on this wicker basket. Somehow, AngelBoy seems to know what to cuddle up in to give him the maximum amount of "cute."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home