Sprinkles

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Maine Lighthouses

As I type, we're in a tiny Maine library.... I think the name of the town is Lubec. We've been in so many towns in the past week that I can't remember them all. This town is right across from the Canadian border.

Right after the closing on our lake cottage back home, we left for this trip. It had been planned before we bought the cottage, so we just went ahead with the trip. And what an adventure.... so far, we have seen fifteen lighthouses-- 14 in Maine, and one that we saw tonight that is just over the little bridge here which leads to Canada.

We may just drive across the bridge to Canada tomorrow. We didn't bring our passports, but they told us we just need a driver's license with our photo on it, which of course we have.

Most of the days have been spent in the car, driving and driving on a two-lane road for the most part.... then (whoopee!) the road spreads out to four lanes.... but those parts are few and far between. My husband loves the lighthouses..... I like them, but wish they weren't all so far apart. This has been a very long trip, and I truly get home-sick for our own house, and my cats, and Gracie. But we've been having a good time, and that's the important part.

Now for the worst part of the trip.... we took a boat ride yesterday to go whale-watching. Big mistake on my part. I don't do well on the water, and I surely didn't do well yesterday. When we left the dock, the sun was shining, the sky was blue, the water was calm. But when we got 25 miles out into the Atlantic, all of that changed. Cloudy sky, lots of winds, rough water. Half of the people on the boat got sick, and I was one of them. And, just I do everything else, it seems, I got sick rather neatly. My husband had a large plastic cup that was empty (from his soda) and that was a great receiver for my lunch.

And wouldn't you know it.... just as I got sick, there came the whales. I missed them all, except for the tail of one, as it went below the surface of the water. I was shaking so hard, the last thing I really wanted to see was anything in the water. My husband held onto me... I told him that if he left my side, I'd toss his camera overboard.

But we made it back to the dock just fine, and the sun was again shining there, and sky was blue, the water was calm. So unlike the deeper part of the ocean where the whales hang out. It was a lesson for me....... something that I knew all along--- I just don't get along with the water. Especially the ocean, I guess. Which rules out going on a cruise, which we had talked about doing at some point.

The library is closing... got to run.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home