Sprinkles

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Movers R Us.....

Or should I say "Movers We Aren't." I have a new-found respect for moving men. What a lot of hard work....... halfway through packing our U-Haul truck late this afternoon, I was wishing we had just hired a moving company.

And just who put all that stuff in my sitting room and in our garage anyway? As we were taking everything out of the house and out of the garage, I was amazed at the collection of things from the yard sales, moving sales, and the resale shops around here. Moving sales...... now I know why so many people have moving sales-- they don't want to move all that stuff from one place to another.

We didn't rent the truck till 5:00 this afternoon, and then we went to the local Chinese restaurant for a quick dinner. I haven't gone grocery shopping since we got back from Maine, and our fridge is painfully empty. I told my husband that the only thing worse than an empty fridge is not having a fridge at all. (We'll have to buy a refrigerator when we get up to the lake house, and then I'll have to get some groceries to put into it.) That's the priority list-- shopping for the fridge and the beds.

Just a few more things to put into the truck tomorrow morning...... some of the bigger things, which may take more time than we think. Our neighbor ML across the street gave us a comfy club chair and ottoman, so that was added to our collection of furniture. Then as we were packing the truck, ML walked across the street and asked if I wanted one more thing-- an antique writing desk, very small.... perfect to put by the front door of the cottage, to hold the guest book. So that's on the truck as well now.

We still have to get the outdoor furniture up into the truck...... round wrought-iron table and four chairs. And the four wooden chairs that go with the kitchen table. And, speaking of chairs.... I mistakenly packed AngelBoy's favorite white wicker chair. He came into my sitting room tonight (after it was all neat and clean and back to its normal state)...... poor little cat went to the spot where I've always kept that little chair for him-- and it wasn't there. He sat in the spot where the chair should've been and just looked up at me with those kitty-blue eyes of his.

"I packed your chair, AngelBoy! Mommy packed your chair on the truck!" Okay, guilty as charged. I had told my husband that everything on that side of my sitting room had to go into the truck, and he carried it all out there.... and I put that cat-sized chair into the truck along with my people-sized wicker chairs. How stupid is that? For the life of me, I don't know if AngelBoy's little chair is buried underneath other things, or (hopefully) it's sitting on top of a pile and I can easily get it out of the truck tomorrow morning.

I really thought we'd have plenty of extra room in that truck...... and I've been packing the truck like a puzzle..... fitting smaller boxes into small spaces, larger boxes into big spaces, trying to fill up every little spot with something and hoping that nothing will shift during the drive. I've put glass shelves into the trunk of the car, as well as the mirrors and lamps. So the car will be filled as well.... my husband will be driving the truck.... I'll be following in the car. Should be easy to follow a U-Haul truck. Unless, of course, there are thirty-seven other U-Hauls headed up to the lake at the same time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home