Sprinkles

Friday, May 19, 2006

Savannah

We've just returned from a three-day stay in Savannah, Georgia. I've been wanting to go there ever since I read "Midnight in The Garden of Good and Evil," by John Berendt. Such a great book..... I've read it three times (the latest reading just before we left for Savannah so the story would be fresh in my mind).

That port city was just as described in the book....... beautiful squares surrounded by wonderful old mansions..... cobblestone streets, cute little shops and restaurants along River Street, and the friendliest people. I bought half a dozen books there, all on Savannah.... books are always the best souveniers.

I brought my own copy of "Midnight in The Garden of Good and Evil" with me, and I carried it every day as we walked around Savannah. I was determined to ask people we met to sign my book for me, and I did just that. That book is still sold everywhere in Savannah, from cafes to grocery stores to gift shops.

The first person we met in Savannah was Willie. We were walking in Forsyth Park and needed directions to another one of the squares. We approached a man walking his little dog, who had said good morning to us when we first entered the park. Not only did Willie give us directions to where we wanted to go, but he gave us his own spin on the history of Savannah. We talked to him for over half an hour, and when we were through, I asked him to sign my book. He insisted that he was "just nobody," and I insisted that he was "somebody to us," and he signed my book.

Then he took us across the street to the office of Sonny Seiler (the lawyer in the "Midnight" book)--- Willie told us that Sonny went to his church and would be happy to sign our book as well. So into the law offices we all went, along with Willie's little dog. Not only did Mr. Seiler sign my book, but he showed us photographs of himself and Clint Eastwood (the director of the "Midnight" movie) and admonished me for not seeing the movie. I explained to him that I never enjoy movies made from great books, and he told me that I should see the movie anyway, since he had a part in it. We promised him that we'd rent the movie from Blockbuster and watch it. Which we will, as soon as my husband finishes reading the book first. My husband hadn't read the book before, but after seeing just how much influence "Midnight in The Garden of Good and Evil" still has on Savannah, he started reading it while we were there.

We saw Willie again on the day we left Savannah... he had invited us to the Lutheran church where he works, so we went there to say goodbye and I asked him for his address so I could send him a little something from Texas. Maybe some Texas-made jam, or some biscuits for his little dog Susie. Willie was just so friendly to us and we all talked as if we'd known each other for years. We walked around "his" church admiring all the stained-glass windows, and the organist was practicing and we got to listen to her beautiful playing as well.

Another person who signed my book was Lemonde..... we saw him in one of the squares as we were walking towards "The Lady and Sons" restaurant-- owned by Paula Deen..... delicious food.... we ate there three times and loved every calorie-laden bite. (I am now back to salads.) Anyway, about Lemonde....... I bought five little roses from Lemonde--- roses made from palm leaves. Lemonde sits in the squares making these beautiful little roses. He doesn't sell them... he just makes them and lets them sit on the stone bench next him. You can't help but go and have a look, and when you ask if they're for sale, he will tell you "They're not for sale, but you can take one and I won't refuse a donation." Such a quiet, soft-spoken little man, with the brightest eyes. I asked him to sign my book and you would've thought I was giving him the world. I took five of his roses and told him I'd think of him when I looked at them, and I gave him a nice donation and shook his hand.

So much more to write about Savannah....... but I've got so much to do today, trying to catch up with laundry and chores. One thing is for sure---- I wish I had brought different shoes on this trip. Sandals just weren't the best thing for those cobblestone streets. The only shoes that worked were sneakers or loafers, both of which I hadn't packed. As we walked around the streets, I noticed that most of the women were looking at the shoes of other women as they passed by (myself included). Those of us with the cute little summer sandals were walking the slowest, and those with the padded sneakers walked with their heads up, seemingly unaware of the rough cobblestones at their feet.

As always, no matter where we go and what we see, it's so nice to be home. Gracie and the cats were just fine........ the pet-sitter gives them a lot of attention while we're gone. And the little cottage up on the mountain in the Hill Country is still there..... I've been thinking about that all this time, waiting for my husband to make another offer on that house and the property it's sitting on. Not even the beauty of Savannah could make me forget that little house on the mountain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home