Sprinkles

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Out of The Closet

Finally, after two hours, I've decided what I'll wear for our Christmas Open House this weekend. I swear, I don't ever remember spending this much time picking clothes out of my own closet before. I feel like I just wasted two hours.

Part of the problem is the weather. Cold one day, rainy the next, warm the day after, then back to cold again. So the problem not only becomes a decision between dress slacks or a skirt, but also a choice between velvet or silk. Then... sleeves or no sleeves, floor-length dress or just below the knee? Christmas red or sparkling black?

As I said.... two hours in and out of my closet, with outfits laying on the vanity in the dressing room and across the bed and the sofa in the bedroom. I decided that the black velvets were out-- too warm, even if it's a cool night, because I'll be in and out of the kitchen. I wanted to wear a shawl with tassels and fringe on it, but that's too risky-- getting a tassel dipped into a Christmas trifle isn't a pretty sight. And you know it's bound to happen if you're wearing anything with fringe on it.

I finally decided on a black silk skirt, below the knee and almost to the ankle, flouncy ruffles from top to bottom-- wide 6 or 8-inch ruffles, not tiny ones. I paired that with a lacy blouse that has a black silk camisole underneath. When the two are on together, it looks like a dress rather than a skirt and a top. The black lace blouse has some sparkles in the material, which looks great with a pair of black heels I have that also have sparkles in the fabric of the shoe.

Speaking of shoes, one of the outfits I tried on was a two-piece ivory skirt and blouse set that I'd found in Galveston a few years ago. Sort of lace-y, with just a few ivory beads on top to make it interesting. That looked fine, but the only shoes that look perfect with that outfit are my wedding shoes-- ivory satin with beads and lace. Problem is, although the wedding shoes look new, they're not as comfortable as they were ten years ago. And I just love those shoes. I took them out of their box and now they're in my sitting room, looking pretty next to the pink velvet sofa. Looks like someone just stepped out of them and left them there.

Shoes.... clothes... table linens.... centerpieces.... cakes.... catered food.... all these details on my to-do list. This is about the time when I sit down and say out loud: Just whose idea was it to have this party anyway?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home