Sprinkles

Thursday, November 24, 2005

High Noon on Thanksgiving

I guess everything is as ready as it can be for the moment. The turkey is in the oven, keeping company with a small turkey breast (just so we have extra white meat). I've got a note on the kitchen counter when to check both, when to take out the smaller of the two. They're not much different in size-- only two people coming today like dark meat, so I bought the smallest whole turkey that I could find.

It's warmer outside than I thought it would be, so the outfit I picked out yesterday is back in the closet, in favor of gold silk slacks and a leopard/paisley print silk sleeveless top. I should be comfortable in this all day long. Easy to wear, easy to cook and serve in, with no sleeves to worry about.

Gracie and the cats are all on the porch, except for Rusty who is on the backyard deck. If I keep Rusty on the porch with the others, he'll go from dish to dish and eat up all their food. As it is, that cat already looks like a 20-pound Butterball turkey.

I got to watch part of the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade while I was doing things in the kitchen this morning. Houston has a parade as well today, and it's pretty good, but let's face it--- no one does Thanksgiving Day like Macy's in New York. (Sorry, Houston.)

Back I go to the kitchen.... I'm glad we got so much prepared ahead of time yesterday and the day before. This morning has been a snap. I've even got dough rising in the bread machine, and I've timed it so the bread will be ready when I serve the spinach/pear/pine nut/parmesean salad. (I'm looking forward more to that salad and the stuffing than I am to the turkey, which I will only take a taste of. I've never been much of a turkey girl.)

Gobble, gobble.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home