Sprinkles

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Paul McCartney

We have just returned from the Paul McCartney concert at the Toyota Center in downtown Houston. My husband, myself, and our friend D. What a blast! This is the second time my husband and I have seen McCartney in concert, and it was just amazing.

McCartney sang for three hours without taking a break. He never left the stage, even when the rest of his band took a 15-minute rest. The best part of his concerts are all the older songs, when the entire audience sings along--- songs like Yesterday, Hey Jude, Back In The USSR. All the words.... from everyone in the audience. It just brings tears to your eyes.

There was a tribute to John and George, and Linda McCartney.... and we all stood up and clapped and no one wanted to stop. When McCartney realized how long and hard everyone applauded for them, his eyes filled up with tears.

I think we were on our feet more than we were in our seats. My hands hurt from clapping so hard, and even though I had fairly high heels on, I never felt uncomfortable as we all danced along in front of our seats.

Hard to believe that it was so many years ago that The Beatles were on "The Ed Sullivan Show" for the first time. I was at my grandmother's house that night (my mother's mother) and she didn't have a television. I ran all the way from her house on 169th Street to our apartment on 150th Street........ and I was hooked on Paul, John, George and Ringo right from the first song. I never did see them in concert when I was a teenager.

But there I was tonight, 53 years old, singing and dancing and applauding.... and, especially during the "older" songs, it was hard to believe that all these years have passed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home