Sprinkles

Friday, October 28, 2005

Pre-Party Day.....

I've been trying to get as much done today as possible, so I will have less to do tomorrow. Usually, on the day of the party, I'm ready to relax by the time everyone gets here, but then there's no time to relax if you're going to keep a party going.

And of course, aside from my usual pre-party to-do list, I thought of a great centerpiece for the buffet table. One of my small table-top holiday trees was all decorated with fruits, grapes, berries, and birds, and was just sitting in the closet waiting for Christmas. It looks more like Thanksgiving than Christmas, with all the autumn-colored fruits and berries. Well, now it looks more like Halloween! In between all the fruits and birds, there are now bright and shiny orange pumpkins, black and silver bats, black and orange witches, and silver spiders. I've got a big orange bow at the very top of it, along with two little witches holding pumpkins. It looks perfectly spooktacular, if I do say so myself.

I also went through my closet this morning and decided what to wear, which will save me time tomorrow. I've got a long black skirt, long black top--- both in a silky material which is very comfortable and won't be too hot. Black stockings and black heels, and I've got all my Halloween "jewelry" ready to go--- my purple witch-purse in the shape of a pointy-toed boot, which hangs around my neck like a long necklace. Along with that, there's the lighted pumpkin-necklace that all the ladies will get tomorrow night. I also have a black-cat beaded necklace that I wear every Halloween---- layers upon layers around my neck will be the order of the day tomorrow. For my wrists, I have two silk and ribbon bracelets with black beads dangling from each of the ribbon points. For my hair, I've got two black and silver cats. I know my husband's first question is going to be "And what are you supposed to be?" My answer--- "You've heard of a court jester? Well, I'm the cat jester!" -- I'll see if he thinks it's as funny as I do.

All the gift bags are out, the prizes for the games are out, the battery-powered "candles" are in the porcelain pumpkins, the walkway is all decorated, and even the Quackernackle Choir is back. Those are my four white porcelain ducks that sit on the spiral steps of a wrought-iron plant stand in the front flowerbed. I had taken that out of the yard when we were preparing for Hurricane Rita, but I missed having the ducks out there. I always "dress" the ducks for the holidays, and now they're all wearing outfits of orange pumpkins. (I used clear plastic Halloween gift bags--- I wrapped up each duck in one of those, and instead of seeing the plastic bags, all you see are the orange pumpkins that cover each bag, so the ducks look like they're in costume. Too cute!)

Enough of a break for the moment...... now I've got to get all the plates and flatware set up on the buffet. Another thing that I usually leave for the day of the party, but I'm going to get that done this afternoon. All the cats are out on the screen-porch, and probably wondering why they can't come into the house. Once I get start getting the house set up for a party, they're not allowed in here. Not a rule that they like, but they'll get over it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home