Sprinkles

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Baseball and Beignets

The Astros lost last night's game to the White Sox. I guess my playing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" on the piano didn't help, nor did the beignets. On the bright side, however, C loved the Astros placecards that I made, and my husband used computer magic to put her and Craig Biggio together in a photograph. I'm sure that picture will be hanging up in her school locker come Monday morning.

When C walked in the door last night, she had a large shoe-box in her arms... inside was her collection of baseball cards, which we all looked at when the commericals were on. I didn't realize she had such a nice collection of cards. My husband showed her his own baseball keepsakes, among which was a ticket to a World Series game that cost less than $10.00, which totally amazed C. As she said--- you can barely buy a soda and a hot dog in a ballpark now for that amount of money.

Speaking of those beignets.... they were sort of okay, but nothing at all like the ones from Cafe du Monde in New Orleans. I think New Orleans' beignets are like New York bagels.... the only bagels that taste like NY bagels are those made in NY, and the only beignets that taste like the ones in New Orleans are made in Cafe du Monde. Maybe it's the water... maybe it's the oil.... maybe its the professionals doing the baking.

Tonight's another game, though, and hopefully, the Astros can win this won. They could've scored a little better last night had they not left men on the bases at the end of the innings. (Don't I sound like I really know baseball?)

Gorgeous day today... sunny and warm, nice balmy breeze coming from the Gulf. And that's another thing... it was freezing up in Chicago during the baseball game last night. I guess the White Sox players are used to that, but the Astros were at a definite disadvantage. I'm sure they will play much better when they get back to Houston. It's nearly 90 degrees here, as opposed to Chicago's 51 degrees during last night game. Totally uncivilized to be playing baseball in such frigid weather.

I was watching the game last night and seeing all the Chicago fans bundled up in coats and hats and scarves, and I swear it made me so cold that I got up and made hot chocolate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home