Sprinkles

Monday, August 08, 2005

Mickey Snoopy Kitty

This tiny kitten is the funniest thing....... he has really made himself at home on the screen porch and is having the best time with the cat-sized wicker furniture that I have out there in one part of the porch for them. Mickey Kitty's favorite thing is the wicker doll-house, which is made in a Cape Cod design with a slanted roof similar to Snoopy's doghouse in the "Peanuts" comic strip.

Mickey Kitty will play inside the doll-house with his toys, but when he's ready to take a nap, he climbs up onto the slanted roof to sleep. Of course, he looks absolutely cute, and if I go out there to tell him that he looks like a feline-Snoopy, he will twist his head so he's looking at me from an upside-down angle. He looks at me upside-down so much that I'm beginning to think that maybe I look better that way to him than right-side-up.

I've also noticed that the kitten likes to watch television. To get him used to the inside of the house a little at a time, I bring him in here and confine him to just one room (always after he's used his litter box, so we don't have accidents). Every time I've brought him into the TV room, I'll turn on the television and sit with him in my lap for a little while as I whisper his name into his ear over and over. (Which is how I've taught all my cats to recognize their individual names-- it truly works.)

When I sit in my chair with Mickey Kitty, I "mute" the television so he hears just my voice, but I swear, this kitten doesn't take his little golden-brown eyes off of the TV-screen. And it doesn't matter what's on. I've switched channels while he's watching, and he seems to notice everything from commercials to talk shows to the Home Shopping channel. I can actually see his little eyes following the movements of whoever is on the television.

When Gracie was very young, she used to watch the television when it was on, but only certain shows would interest her--- the "Animal Planet" channel being her favorite. Sometimes I would put the television on for her and she would actually sit there and watch it. Her fascination with the television lasted for just a few years. We used to call her a "couch puppy" when she couldn't take her eyes away from the TV.

So I guess we now have a "couch kitty" in our home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home