Sprinkles

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Over The Top

I usually end up making more of a fuss than I really have to, but it's fun, and everyone always enjoys it, so I'm sure today's efforts will be enjoyed by the two 14-yr-old girls tonight.

I've made a Midnight Tea Party poster to put on the front door before the girls get here later on. I had no intentions of doing anything of the sort, but when I was reading The Chronicle this morning, one of the ads for a local furniture store had a huge headline in their two-page ad, with the word "MIDNIGHT!" spelled out in big white letters, set against a night-time Houston skyline.

Now honestly, how could I resist using that for something? We already had a sheet of poster-board, left over from something or other, and I used that as a base for the "Midnight! Tea Party" welcome sign for C and L. I cut out photo-ads of teeny-bopper clothing, accessories, shoes, handbags, jewelry..... all sorts of fashions and items for a teenaged-girl's bedroom. Using a glue-stick, I made the cut-outs into a collage on the poster-board, with the Midnight! Tea Party across the top. It really came out very well, and I know that C will want to keep it. She's been making collages here herself since she was in the second grade, and I always keep a box of clippings from old magazines for her.

All the dress-up clothes, shoes, tiaras, and fans are arranged in the dressing room next to our bedroom. I'm letting the girls have the king-sized bed tonight, and I'll sleep on the small pull-out guest sofa. I'll probably be so tired by the time we're done tonight that I could probably fall sleep sitting up in a chair.

I drove to the store this morning and bought some Teen magazines... two for each girl, but I'll give them to C and L tomorrow morning, not tonight--- between the tea party and the "shopping" party tonight, we'll have enough to do. While I was out, I thought to buy one of those disposable cameras, so I can take pictures of the girls tonight. I'll make three sets of the prints, so we can each have the memories of what is turning out to be a "major" party rather than just a simple sleep-over.

Simple. Is that word even in my vocabulary? I know one thing for certain: the word "i*ma*gi*na*tion" is always first on my list of favorite words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home