Sprinkles

Saturday, July 30, 2005

Mickey Kitty

The new kitten continues to adjust here and make himself at home. I do believe that he thinks he owns the screen-porch. That's where he spends most of his days and all of his nights. I don't even confine him in the puppy-crate at night anymore... he just finds his own places to sleep out there. Heaven knows, there's enough to choose from-- wicker chairs and rockers, and cat-sized baskets. There's even an antique wicker baby cradle, and a vintage wicker doll house... both of which have been favored sleeping places for Mickey Kitty. AngelBoy used to sleep in the antique cradle. He can still fit into it, but he prefers the larger chairs now, King that he is.

I spoke to my dad last week and told him about the new kitten. I gave him the whole story, about my husband finding the kitten in the park near the bayou and carrying him home. "Well, did you expect him to leave the kitten there in the park? You're lucky that man hasn't found a horse yet because you'd have to turn the garage into a stable."

When I told my sister about the newest addition, she said "Are you serious? Four cats now?" I told her I wouldn't be making up such a story. She reminded me of her prediction that I would one day be an old woman with seventeen cats. "Make that eighteen," she amended. (Everyone's a comedian.)

A few days ago when I was fixing up one of the baskets as a little napping spot for Mickey Kitty, I searched the linen closet for a not-so-new towel to put into the basket. At the very bottom of a stack of hand towels, I found my very first baby towel. I had forgotten all about it.... but I'm glad I had thought to save it. The towel is white, with an quilted kitten in the center. The colorful (now faded) kitten is wearing a crown. So I guess my cat-loving fate was sealed with that very first baby towel. No sense in saving the towel for a baby.... it's now in Mickey Kitty's basket.

I will have to ask my Aunt Dolly who bought that towel for me. She's good at remembering all the family details like that. I don't think my mother would have picked out a towel with a cat or kitten on it, since she doesn't like cats. Or dogs. She's really not an animal lover. My dad was always finding puppies and kittens and abandoned baby birds.... he'd bring them all home and my mother would immediately tell him to bring them someplace else.

Mickey Kitty goes to the vet next week for his two operations.... neutering and de-clawing. I will bring him there on Monday night, about ten minutes before the clinic closes.... and that way, he'll be the first little patient on Tuesday morning. I told our friend the vet that there's no way I could keep Mickey away from food the night before...... not with three other cats in here. I would have to confine Mickey in his crate and I'd be listening to him cry for hours and I couldn't handle that. So Mickey will be there from late Monday night till 11:00 on Wednesday morning. Once again, he'll be wondering what happened to all of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home