Sprinkles

Monday, December 13, 2004

Little Miss E and the Ballet Dress

Funny story that I forgot to mention yesterday........... During our Christmas party, the four-year old girl who lives across the street from us wandered into my sitting room and looked around at some of my keepsakes in here. I happened to come down the hallway and I found her sitting with her doll on my pink velvet fainting sofa. She was wearing a pink dress, and she looked like a little doll herself on that sofa.

Little E asked me why I had a tiny pink dress hanging on my wall. I explained to her that the dress was one that I wore when I was five years old and taking ballet lessons. I told her that it was called a tutu.

"Pink is my favorite color, you know," said E.
"Yes, I know," said I.
"Is pink your favorite color?" she wanted to know.
"Well, I wear pink sometimes, but it's not my favorite color."
"Then can I have that little pink tutu?" she asked.

I explained to little E that I wanted to keep that little ballerina dress because it was one of the few things I had from that part of my life. I told E that I was going to "save" that little dress for myself.

Without missing a beat, E said: "Save it for what? You'll never be that teeny-tiny again, you know."

And how do you answer that? I told little Miss E that I know I'd never wear the dress again but I was going to save it just the same. I promised E that I would look around the local shops and try to find her a ballerina dress similar to the one hanging up in my sitting room.

"Well, if you do, I won't hang it on my wall and save it.... I will wear it!"... said little Miss E.
As they say... out of the mouths of babes.........


I went to see our friend F in the hospital this afternoon. She's not a happy camper being there, that's for sure. Hospitals are certainly no place for relaxing. Someone is always coming into the room for something or other, and just when you think everything has quieted down for a while, that's the moment when one of the other patients starts moaning or groaning. And there's an Alzheimer's patient on F's floor, right across the hall, who is loud and hostile to the nurses there. F has alerted the nursing staff, telling them that she herself will go into his room and toss him unceremoniously out the window if he interrupts her sleep again. They laughed and thought she was kidding.

We're still talking about the party here, and neighbors have called to thank us, and a few have sent flowers and plants and told us what a wonderful time they had. The magician was a nice surprise for everyone, and being that he had been featured in the local newspapers, they felt as if they knew him. Now we're discussing what to do for next year's Christmas party.

Cold here today...... it was sunny this afternoon and not quite as cold as now, but as the sun went down, so did the temperature. It's supposed to be colder tonight, and still colder tomorrow. Oh goodie.... I can hardly wait. Stupid weather....... We get so spoiled with warm weather here that when we do get a cold snap, it is most unwelcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home