Sprinkles

Monday, December 06, 2004

Monday Morning Rain

It has been absolutely pouring outside..... nice and warm, though, but wet, wet, wet. Good day to start on the to-do list for the party. I keep a written list of everything that has to be done before we host a party. As I finish the chores on the list, I pencil in an X next to it. When all is done, I can erase all the X's and save the list for the next party.

So this morning I decided to clean the stove-top and the kitchen counters around it. Every time I clean that stove-top, I vow to just use one burner instead of all four. But I never do. I stand there and scour each of the burners till they look bright and shine-y new. The white stove-top sets into the counter, which is a light pinky salmon color... very tropical looking in there and easy on the eyes. As much as I love that white stove-top, it shows every last speck of everything. Especially when I put my glasses on. I didn't think I had that much to clean there till I put my glasses on... then I saw little speckles here and there... most likely from when I made the pot of lentil soup last week.

I'll be gentle with that stove-top from now till the end of the week... no major cooking, since I don't want to have to be taking a Brillo-pad to it between now and Saturday.

My husband stopped at Kroger's (supermarket) on his way back from his office yesterday. He came home with all sorts of frozen vegetables made by Green Giant, and he found a box of White Castle hamburgers in the freezer section. Don't you love a man who shops? I do... because grocery shopping is one of my least favorite things to do. And I'm guilty of going in and buying the same things I buy week after week, for the simple reason that my aim is to get in and out of the store as quickly as possible. And I try not to make eye contact with most of the other women shoppers in there. My goal is not to get into a conversation about household cleaners or catfish recipes or the free samples they're giving out at the deli counter. Just leave me alone and let me shop in peace and get out of this store!

But let a man go into a supermarket, especially one who might pop in just a few times a year, and it's like a kid in a toy store. Look at this! Look at that! Wow! I didn't know they had these! So of course, my husband was proud of himself when he walked in the door with two grocery bags filled with goodies. I told him to feel free to go to any of the supermarkets at any time and surprise me again with newly discovered treasures.

I think I found the key to this blog-spot printing. When I type into here at night, I sincerely think half of the world is doing the same thing because it prints and publishes very slowly. When I type in the afternoons, every word gets printed quickly and nothing gets lost along the way. Maybe the trick is to type shorter stories earlier in the day. So that's what I'll try to do. Yesterday was awful.... I typed a long funny story about the lighted reindeer and the chocolate pecan cookies.... clicked on the publish button, and it took so long to accept it that everything got lost. Needless to say, when you have to re-type a story the second time, a lot gets left out.

I hear the trash truck on our street.... they must be on the corner. When they get further down to our house, Gracie will start her usual barking... "They're stealing our trash! They're stealing our trash!" Even after all these years, she just doesn't get it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home