Sprinkles

Sunday, December 12, 2004

Sunday Night

I guess I'm so over-tired that I'm beyond sleeping. Oh well..... maybe the longer I stay awake now, the better I'll sleep tonight. I just got back in from walking Gracie. Tonight is just like last night-- nice and warm, with just a bit of a breeze.... a balmy tropical evening. (My kind of winter!)

Last night was so comfortable that all three tables on our screen-porch were filled with party guests. Two of our cats stayed out in the backyard during the party, and the baby cat spent the night with Gracie in the laundry room. All the 'kids' behaved themselves and kept quiet during the party, and a lot of our friends asked us where we had hidden the dog and the cats.

Our young friend C came to the party last night, along with four of her best friends. We had asked C if she wanted to invite her friends because our party happened to fall on the night when she and her group of friends get together for board games. One of her friends came in with a tray of cookies that he had baked all by himself. Imagine that--- C has found a young boy who cooks and bakes. Smart girl!

Our little four-year-old neighbor across the street came with her brother and her parents. She is the sweetest little girl, with a Shirley Temple face. Until last year, she had Shirley Temple curls, but she asked her brother to give her a hair cut and he did. He cut off so much of her hair that her mom let her get her ears pierced so she'd look more like a little girl again. We're all waiting impatiently for her beautiful curls to grow back. My Christmas gift to little E was a Victorian doll that I'd bought at an estate sale a few years ago. I kept the doll displayed on one of our living room chairs and she always looked sweet sitting there, but I thought it was time to pass that pretty doll along to a little girl. So that's what I did... I put a big red ribbon around the doll's dress and gave it to E for Christmas. She hugged the doll and barely let go of her all night long.

My husband took our annual Christmas photo this weekend. The 'theme' of the photo is The Polar Express, a la the new holiday movie with the voice of Tom Hanks. In the photo, my husband and I are standing in front of the big tree in our living room. Behind us is the foyer and the glass doors, and what do you see when you look through the doors? The Polar Express train, of course. And snow is falling, just as it did in the movie. Which is hysterical, considering it probably hasn't ever snowed here in this part of southeast Texas. But the photo is beautiful, and thanks to my husband's expertise with computer-magic, it's whimsical as well.

And that's about my story of the evening. I'm winding down, so maybe my body is finally realizing just how tired I really am after the party. But as I said... we're already talking about what to plan for next year's party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home