Sprinkles

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Hospital Blues

I went to the hospital this morning to see our friend F.... and she is not a happy camper. Honestly, being in a hospital deprives a patient of much-needed rest. Seems like someone was always knocking on her door for something or other. Everything from needed medication to unnecessary magazines. And just when you got to thinking that everything was quiet, you hear squeaking wheels from the food-service cart making its way down the hallway.

Every few minutes, F would say "I wish I had a gun." She tells that to the nurses and they think she's joking. They should only know. And it was freezing in that hospital today. I covered F up with a third blanket before I left, and one of the nurses brought her a pair of socks to wear. It was so cold up there that I never even took off my jacket. It was cold here today... an 'artic blast from up north,' as the morning's Chronicle called it. The temperatures will be low today and tomorrow, then by Saturday, we'll be up around 70 degrees. Which is still cold in my book, but 70 is better than 50.

My husband and I are going into Galveston to see "A Tuna Christmas" tonight. Wonderful play that we've seen before, but it's good enough to see again and again. The play is shown in the 1894 Grand Opera House.... a beautiful theatre that makes you feel like you truly are back at the turn of the century. "Tuna" is a made-up Texas town, and the play unfolds with the characters getting ready for Christmas. The best part of the play-- all the characters are played by two men (Joe Sears and Jaston Williams, I believe their names are). They do quick costume changes that get them into so many different characters, from a teenager with an attitude to an old cranky woman with an attitude. Just looking at them in their various get-ups makes you laugh.

We're trying to think of what to do on New Year's Eve this year. Last year, we went with a group of friends to our favorite Italian restaurant. So we'll either do the same thing this year, or possibly have a group of friends here for a fancy-dancy New Year's Eve dinner. We're still thinking. I told my husband to think quickly because we have to make reservations if we're going to the restaurant. I already have party-favors ready for New Year's Eve, so I'll bring them with us if we all go out. I did that last year, and placed the little gifts at everyone's place-setting. People at surrounding tables asked me if they could sit at our table instead of theirs!

My husband just walked into my sitting room here and saw that I was typing into this blogspot ... he said "It's a blog-eat-blog world."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home