Sprinkles

Saturday, November 06, 2004

Saturday at The Movies

We went to the movies this morning... to see The Incredibles. Very good movie... not just for kids. Judging by the humor that goes into the dialogue of these animated films, I'm certain they're made for the adults in the audience who just happen to be there with their kids. Looking around the theatre, there were just as many adults as children, if not more so. My husband knows someone at Pixar, so we usually go to see all of their films. Amazing how artistic these films are made... you get so interested in the story that you forget you're even watching animation.

It was 1:30 when we left the theatre... a long time since breakfast. Now for the choice--- do we go home and pick from the leftovers in the fridge? Or do we go out for lunch and add still more leftovers to the fridge. Out we went to Hot Wok, a Chinese restaurant near the theatre. Very good food, all freshly made, and you can see into the kitchen as they prepare your selections.

So many restaurants down here. Between the Houston/Clear Lake area, there must be thousands upon thousands. And mostly all of them are crowded during peak lunch and dinner hours. Prices are so reasonable that it's not a difficult choice to go out rather than go home and cook. Portion-size in this area is ridiculous--- three people could eat from one dinner plate at most restaurants. We are always taking half of our orders home, giving us interesting choices for the next day's lunch or dinner. Or, on occasion, breakfast. Not me-- I have my usual fruit and cereal and yogurt in the morning. But my husband will have an early morning meal of fettuccini with pesto sauce if that's in a take-out container from our favorite restaurant. I can't eat something that rich for dinner, so I couldn't deal with it for the first meal of the day.

Another gorgeous day here. Just a little cool this morning-- cool enough for a light sweater with three-quarter sleeves. I took a jacket to the movies but didn't need it till their air-conditioning got into the frigid zone halfway through the movie. After living here a while, you quickly learn not to go to restaurants/theatres/museums/etc without a light sweater. Everyone's comfort zone is different, and my tolerance of super-cold air-conditioning is very low.

The book I'm reading now is "Twilight Sleep," by Edith Wharton. Over the years, I've been reading all of her books, and I keep the copies on my shelves. This one isn't the easist to get through, but I keep going. I've read a couple of her books more than once-- Ethan Frome and The Age of Innocence. Of all her works, I've loved those two the most. She was an amazing writer, and from the bits and pieces I've read about her life, she was an even more amazing woman. I have her autobiography here ("A Backward Glance") but I haven't started it yet. That book is in my to-be-read pile, which is ever-growing.

That's about the story of the day. Not much interesting going on... just little odds and ends. We'll probably watch the re-run of this week's The Apprentice later on tonight. They give a short summary of what happened on Thursday's show, then the scenes in the boardroom are expanded. Always something interesting to see or hear. As I've said before about that show-- there's a lesson to be learned in every episode. Mostly every week, at least one of the people learn that it's better to keep one's mouth shut than to say something totally stupid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home