Sprinkles

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Arizona Consolation Call

After finding out that tonight's Manilow concert was re-scheduled because of Barry's bronchitis, I went out to the post office and took care of some errands. On the way back, I stopped at the Greek Deli for take-out.... came home with enough food so I won't have to cook for a few days. (Who can cook, with Barry not feeling well?)

While I waited for my order to be cooked and packed up, I walked next door to a gift shop that I usually don't shop in because their prices are too high. I go in from time to time, however, looking for things on sale. Bingo. Halloween items on sale... 60% off. I found some interesting, gorgeous little things that I can't mention till next Halloween. So those are already in my Halloween stash for next year's party. (I'm on a roll here for the next Halloween party, as you might have guessed.)

When I got home with the Greek foods, my husband was on the phone with my Aunt M, who lives in Arizona. She had heard on the morning news out there that Barry Manilow had to cancel some of his concerts because he's suffering with bronchitis. When she heard that one of the cancelled-concert cities was Houston, she got on the phone and called here to console me.

She told my husband that she knew we had tickets to that show. Aunt M was calling both to tell me how sorry she was that I wouldn't see Manilow tonight, and also to ask my husband if he could deal with me in my distraught Manilow-deprived condition. I told my aunt not to worry... that the concert has already been re-scheduled and we will see Manilow on the 17th.

And does it matter that my husband teaches a class on that night? Of course not. Such a minor detail. He will ask another faculty member to take his class for that one night. After all, Manilow will be downtown. Bronchitis-free, please. Get well, Barry.... we can't take this kind of disappointment two times in a row. (Okay... not we...... I. No-- "we." My friends A and J can be counted in there as well.)

So here we will be tonight, instead of downtown. Thursday night. We will be watching The Apprentice, as we usually do on Thursdays. I had set my mind to not being able to see that show tonight. (They re-run every show on Saturday nights anyway.) After all, if there's a choice between Manilow and Trump... you know the answer to that-- there is no choice. There is only Manilow.

Today turned out to be such a gorgeous day. Sunny and warm... back to normal weather. Barry needs to sit out for a while in the Texas sun. That will make him feel better. I have just the place... a nice sunny spot in my backyard underneath the Live Oak tree. Will someone please make note of that for Barry.

Okay... I've got to get away from this computer. All I'm doing today is writing about Manilow. I figure it's better to just get it out of my system this way. Otherwise, I'd be walking around the house saying over and over how disappointed I am that there is no concert tonight. And my husband is across the hall in his study, hard at work on a research paper. (Is there no respect? Does he not realize that Barry isn't feeling well? How can my husband keep working at a time like this?)

Okay. I'll stop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home