Sprinkles

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Relax.... Just Relax....

---- That's what I keep telling AngelBoy. I need to follow the same advice. AngelBoy is out of sorts because the dining room table has been in the middle of the living room since yesterday. I'm out of sorts because no matter how far in advance you plan for these holidays, they seem to be right behind you wherever you go.

The dining room chandelier is being put up as I type. They started the job yesterday, and had they not needed a special bolt for the ceiling, this would've been finished yesterday. Which is why the dining room table is in the living room, not the dining room. No sense in setting it back where it belongs because they would've had to move it out again today. AngelBoy has been practicing the fine art of posing as a centerpiece. Smack in the middle of the dining room table. He was just sitting there last night, as cute as he could be, blue eyes blinking on his new throne.

I told him to get off of the dining room table and he looked at me. As if to say this table isn't in the dining room anymore, in case you haven't noticed. So he just sat there and blinked at me. Blink, blink: I am king of this castle, lord of this table.

The Christmas party invitations will go in the mail tomorrow. My husband and I spent another lunch-hour today discussing what we will need for the party. About half-way through the discussion, I asked him "Just whose idea was this anyway?" Which is what I always say when I get stressed out before a party.

Relax, he said. The party is four weeks away. Easy for him to say. Between now and the party, I need to get my hair trimmed and the color touched up. We'll be going to the Manilow concert, and also going out of town for a couple of days. I need to figure out what to wear for our party, for my friend A's party, for the holiday party where my husband works. I'll be keeping count of who will be coming to our party, making sure we have enough food and desserts for everyone, plus coffee, tea and soft-drinks. A zillion details to remember. I think I'm getting overwhelmed with details right about now, but this happens every year around this time.

You've heard that old saying "Love is in the details." Well, add this: "Stress is in the details as well." Ah... but all those little details make all the difference in the world.

Everything above was written about two hours ago....... As I'm typing now, the chandelier is up in the dining room, the chandelier is up in my sitting room. Both look beautiful....... my husband will be suprised when he gets home. When my husband's mom's chandelier was finally hanging up over our dining room table (which was hers as well) my eyes just puddled up. Her dining room table, her chandelier: together again. It is both wonderful and sad to have her things here. And she is here as well. I just know it.

I guess I'm all typed out for today. Between getting up before dawn the second day in a row, finishing up with the closet with my coats and dress-clothes, re-arranging the holiday decoration storage boxes, and taking out Christmas decorations for the house...... I'm just plain tired. It has been a day. And it's not over yet. I never got to exercise this afternoon, so I will do that tonight while watching The Apprentice.

I should just quit typing. I am rambling on and not making much sense. Tomorrow is another day, Scarlett.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home