Sprinkles

Friday, October 22, 2004

Too Early In the Morning After the Astros Lost to the Cardinals

It is two o'clock in the morning as I'm typing this. I don't think I've slept for fifteen minutes since I got into bed around 11:00. My husband is in the bed, sound asleep and snoring. Gracie is on her blanket in the corner by my husband's side of the bed, sound asleep and making low growling sounds in her doggy-dreams. As I got out of the bed, ShadowBaby curled his little cat-self into a ball on my pillow.

Rusty and AngelBoy are asleep and quiet on the screen-porch. So that leaves me. And I am wide awake. I just ate a small banana... sometimes that helps me get to sleep. Guess it's the potassium?

We had both televisions on tonight... my husband switched between The Apprentice and the baseball game in the TV room; I watched The Apprentice on the small television in the breakfast room (without switching channels). I knew that Stacy wouldn't make it to the end of the season... too much chatter, too much whining and complaining. I just couldn't see her in one of Trump's top positions.

As for the Astros.... we were so hopeful when they scored first. Could Houston really be on their way to the World Series? I was in the breakfast room watching The Apprentice when the Cardinals took the lead. I can always tell when my husband's team isn't winning-- instead of hearing him say "YES!!" when his team scores a run, I hear nothing but silence. But I heard the crowd go wild, so I knew the Cardinals had taken the lead. During the commerical-breaks of The Apprentice, I walked into the TV room to ask my husband what was happening with the Astros. His answer: "They choked."

As the Cardinals won the game, we watched the St. Louis fans shout and cheer and we saw the Cardinals hugging and high-fiving and jumping in the air. Then my husband hit the remote... our local PBS station was showing a documentary about the career of Gene Kelly. We both watched it for half an hour. I think my husband was really disappointed with the Astros loss-- he didn't change channels once, and he doesn't much care for Gene Kelly. Not that he doesn't like him, but he doesn't like him enough not to click that remote.

Oh well.... at least the Astros got as close as they did. Close. But no cigar. There's always next year.

I am going back to bed.... I hope ShadowBaby will let me have part of my pillow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home