Sprinkles

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Sheetrock City... Vampire Teeth

The workers (on time again this morning!) have pulled out the cultured marble shower enclosure, which revealed sheetrock underneath. There is now a pile of old sheetrock out front, a pile of new sheetrock in the back. They're pulling out the old sheetrock and installing new, then the new shower enclosure will go up. And my husband can then reclaim his shower.

And I, for one, cannot wait. Not so I can use it, since I prefer baths--- but so my husband can stop taking showers in my Victorian powder room (as all my girlfriends call it). The master shower is a double-size shower, longer and wider than normal... a man-sized shower. Translation: they can splash all they want and nothing outside of the shower door will get wet.

My Victorian bathroom (with vintage wallpaper filled with hundreds of turn-of-the-century women) has a normal-sized tub, which I surrounded with candles and beaded purses, as well as pictures and statues of turn-of-the-century women. Needless to say, I had to undecorate that room a bit so my husband could take a shower without drowning those poor ladies. As a result, my beautiful powder room is looking a bit more minimalist than Victorian this week.

My husband, at first, wasn't looking forward to using that bathroom for his showers. He's used to having glass shower doors, instead of a frilly shower curtain. After his second shower in there, he told me that it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be. He said he didn't mind all of those Victorian women staring at him as he showered. (As Lawrence Sanders wrote in his 'McNally' stories-- "Give unto me a blessed break.")

I didn't get out to look for a new remote for the television yesterday, with the workmen here most of the day, so my husband went out on that errand. He went to Wal-Mart, since that's where we found the remote last year. Not only did he come back with what he went for, but he did some Halloween shopping. (Don't you love a man who shops?)

When my husband came in the front door yesterday after his shopping trip, I was in the breakfast room. As I walked towards the front door, my husband opened his mouth to smile at me and what did I see? Vampire teeth. Made me laugh out loud. He tried to kiss me with those teeth in his mouth and I pushed him away. At a distance, they're funny. Up close, they're gross. He was so happy with my reaction that he plans to wear them for our Halloween party on the 30th. I told him that none of the other ladies are going to want to kiss him either.

He also bought a strobe-light that goes inside a pumpkin. It's an orange plastic dome with six lights on it. We put batteries in it and put it inside the largest ceramic pumpkin that I have in the living room. Looks pretty cool when the lights are flashing. Sort of like an orange mini-disco ball. Also in my husband's Wal-Mart bag was a glass candle-jar, filled with a large pumpkin-scented candle. When the candle is lighted, it smells like 15 pumpkin pies are baking in the oven. Perfect for the Halloween party as well.

As I said... I love a man who shops. My husband doesn't shop that much-- not enough time, not enough interest. If he needs something from a store, he usually walks in, gets what he went for, and leaves. (Men just don't understand the concept of looking around a little bit because you never know what else you'll see that will be calling your name.)

But I guess all the Halloween decorations in Wal-Mart were just too tempting to pass by without giving a look-see yesterday. Both my husband and I enjoy Halloween. It's fun to see the kids in their costumes and I love the look on their faces when they see the surprises we give out instead of candy.

If I know my husband, he'll want to wear the vampire teeth on Halloween, as he opens the door to the trick-or-treaters. The older kids will love them. The little kids will need post-Halloween therapy.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home