Sprinkles

Monday, October 18, 2004

Remote This!

It's a sad day indeed when the remote for the television isn't working. Sadder still because the Cardinals are just about to play the Astros, and the game between the Yankees and the Red Sox is now tied. And our remote stopped remoting. Flat-out stopped. We put in new batteries. Nothing. The look on my husband's face was priceless.

So there's my husband, sitting on the floor in front of the television, having to press a tiny button at the bottom of the TV, in order to get from Channel 9 to Channel 72 so he can see what's happening with both baseball games. That's a lot of individual presses on that teeny-tiny button.

Right this second now he's at his computer... guess that's quicker for checking the score than sitting there and waiting for the television to get from 9 to 72. Of all nights for the remote to break. And it just stopped for no reason. We just bought that remote last year. Don't they make anything to last longer than 12 months anymore?

I guess we'll be out buying a new remote tomorrow. No doubt we'll find one quickly, being that we searched all over Clear Lake last year for one that would work with our TV. Come to think of it, we found about eight of them last year and bought them all... kept the one that worked the best and returned all the rest.

Watching television with a man is a hard thing to do. They get hold of that remote and their fingers just fly. Before your eyes get adjusted to one station, they're onto the next station. Drives me crazy. Especially if we're in the middle of a show I really want to see-- like The Apprentice. Every Thursday night, before that show comes on, I grab the remote, get the TV to Channel 12, then sit on the remote. I just can't stand all the clicking around to other shows. I'd just rather click on the 'mute' button if my husband doesn't want to listen to commercials. But he likes to switch from channel to channel. So I sit there, telling him "Go back to 12!" every minute or so, because I just don't want to miss anything.

Back in the 1960s, I frequently heard women saying "I don't understand him! He's so remote!" I was young and just starting to date, so I didn't have a clue as to what they were talking about. However, when you match that dated statement with today's technology, it makes perfect sense.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home