Sprinkles

Monday, October 18, 2004

Monday, Monday...

Doesn't that make you think of the old 1960s song by The Mamas and The Pappas-- "Monday, Monday..." I didn't like all of their songs back then, but that song had a nice melody.

My husband got back from NY late last night, and with all the fuss that Gracie made over him when he got home, I'm surprised that everyone on the street didn't come out on their lawn to see what was going on. If my husband is gone for three hours or three days, that dog will make the same big fuss. Her hero!

We were up early this morning... and out to the showroom to look at tiles and shower enclosures for the master bathroom. If it had been totally up to me, I would've just told the contractor to replace everything there with the same-style stuff, just newer upgrades. But, research being my husband's forte, he wanted to "consider other available options." When he told me that over the phone, I rolled my eyes towards the ceiling. I don't intentionally do that, it just happens. Must be a chic thing, because I never catch a man doing that. (And men hate it when we do that.)

So that's what we were doing at 10:00 this morning. Now I'm waiting for a call-back from the contractor, so we can compare the prices between the cultured marble and the fancy-dancy tilework that my husband found in the showroom. What we have now is the marble and it seems to me that it's been much easier to keep clean than tilework would be.

We also went to Home Depot to look at shower fixtures... my husband found one that he liked and we bought it. Less than 15 minutes for that. Unbelievable. I was duly impressed. And I guess my face must've showed it because my husband asked me if I was impressed by the quickness of his decision. I guess he knew the answer to that question before I answered, being that I hadn't been standing there rolling my eyes up towards the ceiling as he looked at the options.

The contractor sent the plumber by this afternoon-- and he showed up right at the stroke of 2:00. I am so impressed that everyone associated with this company is showing up on time! The plumber will be back tomorrow, with on/off valves and hot/cold fixtures for us to choose from. He'll get the plumbing work done so the contractor can send someone back to close up the wall that had to be opened up.

Then we have to wait a few days until either the new cultured marble shower enclosure is made, or the fancy tilework can be installed. I'm hoping for the marble enclosure... and if the price of the tile is going to be as high as I think it will be, my husband will probably pick the marble as well. Which means we will have exactly the same look as we had before, only newer. Fine with me... in my eyes, it's only a shower. And honestly, when my husband uses that shower, he's not standing there with his glasses on, so will he really be able to notice the details on the fancy-dancy tilework?

I cancelled my piano lesson for tomorrow. Too much going on here, what with having to wait for contractors and plumbers. And that's not a complaint, being that they are all showing up on time. From now on, for certain, I won't be calling any other company for home repairs. These guys have everything down to a science. I'll have to give their names to my neighbor across the street. She's been waiting for two months for a call from the handyman who did some work in her family room. He finished the majority of the work, but she's been waiting all this time to finish up some minor details.

After the morning's errands were done, my husband and I went to Babbo Bruno's for lunch. Love that restaurant! And everyone knows us... the waiters come to greet us, the owner/chef comes out of the kitchen to say hello and give us a hug. Family! (Only they're not related, so it's even better!) I don't think I've ordered from their menu in months and months. We always ask what the day's "specials" are, and I just order the fish special, no matter what it is. Today's fish was Chilean Sea Bass, topped with sauted apples in a very light creamy wine sauce. Roasted red peppers and fresh greens on the side. Totally delicious. My husband had his usual-- fettuccini in pesto sauce with steamed mussels. Portions are generous there, so we both always take half of our meals home. Which means I won't be cooking dinner tonight. Love that also!

And that's been the day so far. My husband is at work now and won't be home till after 8:00. I've got to walk Gracie before it's time to exercise while I watch Oprah at 4:00. When my husband walked Gracie this morning, she was jumping all around him as he walked to the front door. I know that she won't be doing her dance for me. In a few minutes, I'll be standing by the front door with her leash in my hand, calling her once... twice... possibly three times. And then she will walk slowly towards the door, and give me her lazy look that says "Oh... it's only you."
I am not Gracie's hero... I'm just the little elf who makes sure she always has fresh food and water in her bowls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home