Sprinkles

Thursday, October 21, 2004

The Morning After the Yankees Lost to Boston

And what else is there to say after that title? (Say it isn't so...)

My husband and I watched the Yankee/Red Sox game last night. Very sad. We sat there waiting for the Yankees to rally back with some runs.... we're still waiting, but the game is over. Needless to say, Boston fans went nuts, and we sat there watching them. Tonight is the Astros/Cardinals game. If the Astros don't get this game, it will be a sad night in Houston. But let's not go there. Let's go here--- GO ASTROS!! (From my lips to God's ears, as my dear friend Blanche would say.)

Tonight is also The Apprentice. I can tell you now that my husband will be clicking those channels, switching between 9 and 12. I told him this morning that I'll be watching The Apprentice in the breakfast room. He can click away all he wants in the TV room. I'll join him for the baseball game after Donald Trump says "You're fired!"

The workers are here once again... bright and early this morning. They measured for the new marble shower enclosure yesterday, so everything is moving right along with the master shower. At the beginning of this job, I let the contractor know that we were having a Halloween party on the 30th. I told him that I needed him to be done, completely finished, out of here at least two days before the party. "Not a problem," he told me. Thankfully, he is proving to be a man of his word. I've already given his name and number out to three friends.

I've been getting the Halloween party favors all set. Can't mention them here till post-party, because a lot of our friends also read "Sprinkles" and I don't want to be spoiling the surprises. The Halloween party is called "Death by Desserts"-- that's what I wrote on the invitations. The party invitations had happy-faced pumpkins on them, very nice ones from Hallmark. I had also stumbled upon some vintage Snoopy party invitations, so I bought those as well and used just one of them for my friend A. She loves the Peanuts gang, and Snoopy is her favorite. So she just might be getting Snoopy invitations for all of our parties till that package is empty.

Everyone will be bringing a "spooktacular sweet dessert," as I wrote on the invitations. Usually, with our Charades parties, we have a pot-luck dinner buffet. This time, just because it's Halloween, I thought a dessert buffet would be appropriate. Not too healthy, not low-calorie, but Halloween-appropriate just the same. So it should be fun to see just what kinds of goodies end up on our dining room table. By the end of the night, we should all be bouncing off the walls with a sugar-buzz and falling into a chocolate-coma sleep that night.

I also wrote "Come as you are or come as you dare" on those Halloween invitations. Hopefully, our friends will get creative and come in some sort of costume. Our friends A & D already have their Halloween get-ups in their closet. They went to a Halloween costume party last year, so they're already set for this year. I already have my outfit planned.... I don't know what my husband will do, but it will probably have something to do with those vampire teeth from Wal-Mart that he found yesterday.

In any case, whoever doesn't come here with some sort of costume will be given a gender-appropriate Halloween accessory to enhance their wardrobe. The accessories will add to the festiveness of the party and make for a hysterical game of Charades. I've lost count of how many Charades parties we've had over the years. We always play in two teams-- ladies against the men. And the ladies have always, always won. More often than not, we get the clue within the first 30 seconds. Drives the guys crazy. They sit there and look at us. And they think we're cheating. They've said we don't play fair because "all you women have some sort of girly ESP"-- that's what they tell us. Of course, that's true, but we never admit it.

At every one of our parties, as the scores for Charades are tallied up, the faces of the men always look as sad as when the Astros lose a game to Atlanta. And that's a sad look indeed, since the Astros fans hate to lose to the Braves. Maybe I should get together with the women before we have this Halloween party on the 30th. We should all rehearse that silly chant that the Atlanta fans do at their games. Then, when the ladies win at Charades next week, all the women can sit there chanting while holding an imaginary tomahawk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home