Sprinkles

Monday, June 06, 2016

More fireworks...

Just as promised from the neighbor's text message this afternoon, more fireworks were sent into the sky at 9:45 tonight. I'm sure they enjoyed those blasts more than this afternoon's display at 5:15 when the sun was shining.

Tonight's fireworks lasted for about 20 minutes. Savannah was sleeping by my feet when they started and with the first blast, she ran to her bed, arranged herself in a tight circle, and started shaking uncontrollably. I had put the "Thunder Jacket" on her this afternoon when the first fireworks were shot off, and I kept it on her, knowing that once it got dark, there would be more explosions.

I was petting Savannah as she lay curled up in her bed, but she couldn't stop shaking. At one point, she was gasping for air as if she couldn't breathe. It was right about then that I wanted to go outside and put a "For Sale" sign out on our lawn.  I chose to comfort Savannah instead. So I curled up with her, right in that big dog-bed of hers, with my body behind hers, both of us curved into a comma-shape, and I put my arms around her and held her close. With each blast, Savannah's body shook, but she stayed right where she was with me wrapped up around her, and by the time the 6th or 7th firework went off, she put her head on my arm and her shaking lessened a bit and she was breathing a little bit easier.

The fireworks are over now, but Savannah is still curled up in her bed.  I'm typing on the table in the breakfast room, about three feet away from her corner, imagining that "For Sale" sign out on our lawn by the mail-box.  In my last entry, I said I did not want to hate the new neighbors. Well, forget that.  I hate them with a passion. A relentless, genuine, quintessential passion. Beginning with the night of April 27th, they have disrupted the peace of this country bubble up here in the hills, and my sweet Savannah is suffering because of their reckless and inconsiderate behavior.

The sheriff's office called back earlier this evening and told me that there are no restrictions against fireworks out here in the country. Unless there is a "Burn Ban" due to drought conditions, people can just about do anything they want on their own property.  The sheriff will gladly drive out here and tell the new neighbors that they have had complaints about the fireworks, but they cannot tell them that fireworks are illegal to use. So be it.  As I said before: I hate those people across the road. Absolutely, positively, hate them with a passion.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home