Sprinkles

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

A note from me...

To those of you wondering if Savannah's blog is about a real puppy... indeed it is.  I could not have made this story up if I tried.  If I had the technical ability to post a photo of Savannah and our cats here on this Blog page, I would do so, but my forte is writing, not picture-taking, and certainly not computers. Savannah's picture, however, is posted on my Pinterest page-- it's the cover photo on my board titled "Get Real... Get a Dog!" -- my Pinterest page is listed under my first name.  Savannah also has a Facebook page--- Savannah Grace, showing pictures from her 'Lost Dog' posters.

I started that blog (A Puppy Named Savannah) on the day we brought her home on September 12th, 2015.  Besides the fact that I tend to write everything down (and have for decades) I just had the feeling that this puppy would have a story to tell. I didn't know at the time how much of that story would be interesting enough to write about, but when I start something, I tend to see it through.

What originally began as a blog about raising a puppy turned into a stream of emotion-filled essays on how Savannah came into our life, disrupted and changed our life, and ultimately became the core of our life, most especially during the 12 days when she was lost.  We don't know where she was during those days and we will probably never find out.                                                                        

I know one thing... I will always remember the look on Savannah's face that Mother's Day morning when we found her sitting by our back door waiting for us to come home. Our puppy was as overwhelmed and as exhausted as we were after those awful days, and all she wanted was to be back with her family. Savannah seems to be fine and healthy after her adventure, although she has no interest in walking along our road now. When she goes down the porch steps, she heads straight for the backyard and does her 'business' quickly and then wants to come back into the house. I'm sure she will get her confidence back as the weeks go by.

To both dog-lovers and cat-people.... your pets depend on you for everything: for their shelter, their food, their safety, their health.  They give us so much during the years that we have them, and yes, they can be both frustrating and rewarding, and along with the love they give, responsibility and effort and just plain work come along with those little (and big) furry packages.  In our search for Savannah during the days she was lost, we saw so many unwanted and neglected dogs and cats. Please spay/neuter your house-pets, and please please please go to your local animal shelters if you're willing to accept the love and responsibility of a four-legged furry child. No matter how many years your cat or dog may live, they will never mature beyond the psychological capability of a two- or three-year-old child, and understanding that is so important in the way you care for them.

To anyone who has cats who come running to you when their names are called, and to everyone who is loved unconditionally by a dog, I dare you to find a stronger bond with another living breathing creature on this planet.

After the last excruciating twelve days, I am all word-ed out, written-out, and just flat-out emotionally exhausted. I do understand that many more news-worthy and earth-shattering events have been happening around the world during our 'lost dog' fiasco.  Savannah being lost was just a minuscule blip on the radar screen of the universe, but Savannah is our blip and that's why we put the rest of the world on hold these past couple of weeks.

 My blog statistics indicate that the number of readers on both Savannah's blog and my Sprinkles blog has increased dramatically in the last six months, and I truly thank all of you for reading.  I'll be back here typing after a little while, but for right now, this writer just needs a blessed break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home